Below are the main steps that need to be completed so that the Word file converts to a well-structured DTBook XML file (and later converts to a DAISY and EPUB file).
What to edit:
- Remove all formatting from the document, including bold, underline, and italics
- Convert images that contain text to text; remove images entirely where they're not necessary; replace images that represent text breaks to three asterisks ***
- Define the structure of the document by adding headings and sub-headings
- Add other styles where needed, such as blockquotes, citation, author, and poetry styles
- Convert text to lists where needed
- Ensure all hyperlinks are removed - the documents will not convert to DAISY otherwise
Note #2: We have often wondered if there is a better way to represent a text break? A text break indicates a change of context in the book. Books usually use images or extra paragraph spacing as text breaks. NNELS converts these to three asterisks.