The Reluctant Communist

We've been making books and we would like to hear how accessible they are from your perspective, and what we can do differently to make them better.

Re: The Reluctant Communist

Post by
farrah
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:05 pm
@Daniella
In response to a couple of your original comments, the photographs have two components - a caption (as provided in the original book), and an alt text description (that we write). The Caption is text inserted using Word's Insert Caption tool and this translates to the DAISY XML <caption> tag. The Alt text description translates to the image’s <alt> tag. To add Alt text we add this to the metadata of the image (in Word, you do this by right-clicking the image, selecting Format Picture, and adding text in the Alt Text description field). We do this in accordance with the DAISY Consortium guidelines. I'm surprised that JAWS has difficulty reading image captions and descriptions, I'm going to look into this further.

As for including some instructions in the production notes section at the beginning of the book for readers to know that there are photo descriptions, that's a great idea. We will incorporate this into our Producer’s Notes going forward. Thanks!
Daniellalpl wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:25 pm Would it be possible to insert photo descriptions in the text, rather than as objects?

It may also be useful to include some instructions in the production notes section at the beginning of the book (the E-text version) for readers to know that there are photo descriptions. It may also be useful to add some instructions on how to find/read descriptions; perhaps add this information with other tips on the website.
farrah

Post by
rmarion
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:14 pm
I didn't realize that VoiceDream also stripped away the alttags as well I was aware it stripped away images but thought the alttags were preserved. I also found out that DocuScan stripped away images from files imported into the software from Epub and PDF as well. But it seemed to retain the image marker and just inserted the word image. I found this out using the other test book we are all working on.
rmarion

Post by
ryano
»
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 pm
I can open the file into ms word, but not able to open it into daisy.
ryano

Post by
rmarion
»
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 am
Hi. In the original post on this topic, there was a link to the catalogue entry for this book. I clicked on the link and downloaded all four of the formats that were there. There was Daisy 2. Two, and Daisy three. Once you download those files, you will have to copy them into the Daisy player or software of your choice. Then it should work.
rmarion

Post by
farrah
»
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am
Hi Richard, I was just chatting with VoiceDream again about images and alt text, and some positive news - they said that "in the future, they will be including alt text in the program."

rmarion wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:14 pm I didn't realize that VoiceDream also stripped away the alttags as well I was aware it stripped away images but thought the alttags were preserved. I also found out that DocuScan stripped away images from files imported into the software from Epub and PDF as well. But it seemed to retain the image marker and just inserted the word image. I found this out using the other test book we are all working on.
farrah

Post by
ka.li
»
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:20 pm
That's good news about Voice Dream because that's usually my go-to app for reading.
ka.li