Testing Press Reader

Library App testing discussion for the SDPP-D Grant projects

Testing Press Reader

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:21 am
Hello everyone. I've just installed the Press Reader app on my phone, and I'm a little confused about what sort of account to use for testing. The app isn't asking me to log in with my library card. Instead, I see a message that says "Try premium for free: unlock every title and say hello to unlimited reading. Try free for seven days. Cancel any time." Or, it looks like I could continue with a free account and access some content.
If there are features in the premium account that aren't available in the free one, maybe that would affect our testing. Should I sign up for it? Seven days seems long enough for our purposes.
Happy New Year everyone.
steve.murgaski

Re: Testing Press Reader

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:29 am
Hi,

Please do create a PressReader account, it is important to test the accessibility of the process to create an account and to sign in.

For reference, here are instructions in the Toronto Public Library website Check your library for similar instructions.

You have to use your email address and create a password and user name. Then download the app and sign in with that information.
Thanks!

Happy 2019, everyone!
Daniella.LP

Post by
rmarion
»
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:19 am
When I installed the app on my tablet, I did find the link in the app to sign in with the library card. But this was the wrong way to do it. When I tried to add an email address, I ended up at the same section as steve. I contacted my. Local library to find out how to link my email to my library card. In richmond, you login to press reader through the library website, once there, you click an unlabeled link which is your press reader account. Here you can add your email address and password. Once you have done this, you can also sign into press reader with your windows app or mac app if you are using them. The computer apps only accept the email and password.

If you decide to just add your library card to the app, on the sign in screen, there is an option to sign in with your library card and pin. It is with the links for signing in with Bell, Google and Facebook. It was difficult to find any concise information on the press reader help section about libraries as well.
rmarion

Post by
ka.li
»
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 am
I did find the login/signup process to be confusing as well. I went to my library and accessed Press Reader from there. It recognized that I was connecting my library account to it but it also asked me to create an account which I did. It looks like both my library and press reader accounts are linked. I found the entire process to be more accessible on my computer. I tried at first with the app but couldn't get past the account creation screen.
ka.li

Post by
rmarion
»
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:34 pm
I did forget to mention that I also linked my library account and my press reader account through the website. Trying this with the iPad app proved to be a bit of a challenge. Once I linked my accounts through the website, I was able to sign into the app with my email address and it showed my linked library account. Reading content is posing many more challenges in the end.
rmarion