Wrap-up week: Workflow

We've been making books and we would like to hear how accessible they are from your perspective, and what we can do differently to make them better.

Wrap-up week: Workflow

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:36 am
Now we’d like to learn a bit about how you found the workflows. As this project was somewhat experimental, and grew as we learned along with you, we know that the workflow was a little different for everyone. We’d love to hear about your experience with the workflows in regards to two areas:
  • How did you find the workflow as it was presented in the Wiki?
  • How did you find the workflow as presented in the work plan that was created for you by your buddy, and posted in the forum?
leahbrochu

Re: Wrap-up week: Workflow

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:58 pm
There were a few keyboard shortcuts described in the wiki which I was able to use, but much of it was designed for mouse users. For tasks like removing styles in Word I used the keyboard method we developed in the forums.

Communication was a large part of my work. Although the forums became much easier to use with more headings added to them, it still isn't easy to keep track of which topics have been updated. Email, talking on the phone with Sabina and my work buddy, and even the dinner some of us attended in Toronto were very useful to me. I also phoned and emailed many people outside of NNELS about my projects.

From the descriptions in the forums I think Pandoc would have been a helpful tool to learn, but so far I've only gotten as far as installing it.
steve.murgaski

Post by
rmarion
»
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:40 pm
In my case, I also ended up using the instructions in the forums and the instructions from my work buddy. As I mentioned early in the project, I had the ability to try conversions using both the mac and the pc. In the end I found using MS word on the pc easier to apply the styles and other formatting to the document. I did not use the wiki as much as I should have until I was nearly finished my project and I needed to insert text found on the wiki. As the forums received more posts, it did become more difficult to find crucial information that was posted early in the discussion. The additional heading levels did help with this as Steve mentioned.
rmarion

Post by
ryano
»
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:31 pm
The info in Wiki is great info and helpful to be able to following but the buddies I work with provide more clearly steps for every tasks I need to complete.
• How did you find the workflow as presented in the work plan that was created for you by your buddy, and posted in the forum?
It was great and clearly steps by steps to do the task while she also post it in email and we mostly communicate by email which is really effectives and easier for me because I always respond to email more quickly instead of login into the forum.
The workflow are great because they focus on one task before going onto the next task to make sure I am on right track rather do too much and end up do thing wrong can causes end up struggle or confused. Great way is to focus on one task at a time.

In addition, workflow. Was great because I can work anytime on my own without any stress by find the time to fit in to work on the project.
ryano

Post by
ka.li
»
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:53 pm
I think the information was helpful and for the most part, easy to follow. If I couldn't figure out something after reading the wiki, I would do some research online or ask on the forums or other people.

I found it helpful to have a list of things to do and mentally check off once I completed each item. Also, the instructions/list was well-written. It was also good that it was on the forum because I liked that we could see what other people were working on and be able to offer help if needed.
ka.li

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:45 pm
How did you find the workflow as it was presented in the Wiki?

I found the explanations in the wiki helpful to understand why things need to be done and how to do them. Most of the information was useful, but as others have mentioned, some of the instructions are written for mouse users; also, some of the instructions show screenshots of what the specific icons look like, and lack keyboard shortcuts. In this instances Google and my buddy were very helpful to find either specific keyboard commands or to provide more information about something (for example navigating the styles pane, and further details about images). The headings that separate specific information in the wiki are useful to navigate content according to topic.

How did you find the workflow as presented in the work plan that was created for you by your buddy, and posted in the forum?

It was very useful to have all the information for my tasks in one place. She also provided all the links to the relevant sections in the wiki, which was a timesaver: I did not have regular internet access for a week when I was traveling, and so I had saved all the information that I needed for my edits beforehand and could work on them even on the airplane.

I also appreciated being able to see what others were working on the forums. The extra headings certainly helped, although it was not always easy to keep track of new posts.
Daniella.LP