Week 4: What information should be added to the wiki?

We've been making books and we would like to hear how accessible they are from your perspective, and what we can do differently to make them better.

Week 4: What information should be added to the wiki?

Post by
jennlortie
»
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:48 am
We know that the wiki is missing a lot of important information for book editing. Based on what you have learned so far about producing etext, what information do you think we should add to the wiki?

One thing that we know we would like to add to the Wiki is a section on the many different softwares that can be used to help with this sort of work. Many things have already been mentioned in the forums, like Pandoc, the JAWS text analyzer, and a document conversion software. Please consider telling us about some of the programs that you used while doing etext editing, and how you used them.
jennlortie

Re: Week 4: What information should be added to the wiki?

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 am
The page "Extract images from epub files" https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?id ... act-images says to use a program called EacanCrusher to unzip the epub. But it isn't necessary to use a program for that, and I don't know how accessible EacanCrusher is. So I would give instructions like:
1. Find your epub file in windows explorer. It should have a filename like FileName.epub. If it doesn't, you need to set your folder options to not hide file extensions for known file types.

2. Press F2.

3. Change the end of the file name from .epub to .zip and press enter

4. Windows will warn you that you are changing a file extension. Tell it okay.

You can now access the file as you would any zip file. E.G. press enter on it to see the directories and files it contains. When you finish editing its contents, change the file name back from .zip to .epub by pressing F2 again when it is highlighted in windows explorer.
steve.murgaski

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:40 am
The Keyboard Shortcuts page of the wiki, https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?id ... -shortcuts is missing quite a few shortcuts for Word for Windows. These could be added to the table:
Normal (style) ctrl+shift+N
Emphasis (style) ctrl+i (if it's the same as italics?)
Strong (style) ctrl+b (If it's the same as bold?)
Language Alt+R, U, L (opens a dialog to set the proofing language)
Insert an endnote: alt+ctrl+D
Advanced find and replace ctrl+H

More shortcuts could be added. Perhaps a useful one for us:
Remove hyperlink fields ctrl+shift+F9
steve.murgaski

Post by
jennlortie
»
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:52 pm
Thank you for these awesome suggestions, Steve!
jennlortie

Post by
ka.li
»
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:27 pm
To add to what Steve said, 7Zip is another good option for Unzipping EPub and other files. It's open source and completely accessible.

If I needed to add the images back into a file, I would use Codex because if you ask it to convert to HTML, it will give you a zipped HTML file which has all the images in a separate folder.
ka.li