Week 4: Communication/language in the wiki

We've been making books and we would like to hear how accessible they are from your perspective, and what we can do differently to make them better.

Week 4: Communication/language in the wiki

Post by
jennlortie
»
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:48 am
How do you find the communication of instructions in the wiki? Are the instructions clear? For example, would it be helpful if instructions were updated to include navigation without a mouse?
jennlortie

Re: Week 4: Communication/language in the wiki

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:08 am
It would be super useful to include instructions for keyboard use, to accomplish the tasks without a mouse indeed. Navigating the ribbon in Word with JAWS can be quite time consuming, and frustrating: JAWS does not always read the keyboard shortcut; also, if one alt+tabs to another application from whatever reason away from the file or presses the wrong key, it is necessary to start over navigating the ribbon to find the option that way. Conveying the information presented via screen shots in the wiki in text would also be helpful.
Daniella.LP

Post by
ka.li
»
Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 am
It would be helpful to include instructions without using a mouse. I think it would be especially useful if specific keyboard shortcuts for programs are listed in it's own section and not just as part of the instruction because when I've been figuring out things, I had to hunt for specific Word shortcuts most of the time.
ka.li

Post by
rmarion
»
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:02 am
I agree. It would be useful to insert instructions on using the keyboard for performing tasks when possible. I did note that in some cases this information did already exist on the wiki. For example, the section on removing hyperlinks from a document had the keyboard instructions for both the Mac and pc versions of word.
rmarion