Generation X

We've been making books and we would like to hear how accessible they are from your perspective, and what we can do differently to make them better.

Re: Generation X - Footnotes & Emphasis style?

Post by
jennlortie
»
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:15 pm
Hi Daniella,

This makes sense. It sounds like endnotes might be preferred then to avoid the "interruption" of footnotes when scrolling through the document?

Do you or others think it's best to retain the authors' font decisions then, in case there are people who wish to set their screen readers to read the Emphasis style, for example?

I'm not sure what would be causing the scrolling/view issue - but I'm happy there's an easy fix! Is this something that you notice also happens with other NNELS documents?
Daniellalpl wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 pm In JAWS, the read all command does not read footnotes automatically. So for continuous reading in Word, it would not make much difference to have footnotes or endnotes. It would make a difference if people scroll up or down a page with the arrow keys to move line by line, because at some point the footnote pane will appear.

Regarding emphasis, unless I check for font attributes, I cannot know if something is in bold or italic (I think it is possible to set the screen reader to use different voices to indicate different text attributes). For reading books in the Victor Stream or with other apps, the only way might be to include a note to indicate that the following text has been emphasized, with a note at the end of that chunk of text. For academic reading this is more relevant, but for leisure reading I don't think it is a problem.

I notice that when I scroll down the Etext file and reach the end of the page, if I press the down arrow I skip one page; if I press the right arrow, however, I move to the immediate next page as normal. I think this has to do with the view mode; if I press the Word commands "alt+w followed by the number 1" it corrects the issue.

jennlortie wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your feedback so far!

One thing I was wondering about for this book is use of footnotes and how easy it is to navigate through to the footnotes? Would it have been better in the e-text version to use end notes? Does it depend on the TTS software?

I am also wondering about the Emphasis style. We have since stopped using it to produce books, but I'm wondering if it adds much to the reading experience to keep the Emphasis style or if it creates more "issues" than it's worth? Again, does this depend on the TTS software?

Jenn
jennlortie

Re: Generation X

Post by
farrah
»
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 am
Thanks Daniella.
We do include in all of our books a Producer's Note that states that the original pagination of the book hasn't been retained.
As for a paragraph marker, I'm not quite sure what you mean by that - can you explain how that works? Thanks!

[quote=Daniellalpl post_id=410 time=1518221968 user_id=68]
I agree that inserting a different pagination from the original book may become confusing. One possibility would be to include a note at the beginning of the book explaining that pagination in this book does not correspond to the original, and that it was added for navigation purposes, etc. But if a reader skips that part of the notice, then they would not know and would still result in confusion.

Would it be possible to insert a paragraph marker to provide more options for navigation (in the Victor Stream for example?)
farrah

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm
Hi Farrah,

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I am not sure about the terminology, but what I mean by a paragraph marker is a hard break or some other way to make navigation by paragraph possible using the Victor Stream, which offers several navigation options: headings (at all the levels available in the file in question); time jump (1 or 5 minutes); and phrase. Some DAISY files have more options than others (including line, sentence, etc.). I think that including more options for navigation in DAISY files would be useful; I had originally thought about page breaks, but your point about potential confusion with page numbers in comparison with the numbers in the original book is very important. In short, some type of marker to provide more navigation options for DAISY files.
Daniella.LP

Post by
farrah
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:31 am
Hi Daniella,
That's interesting. We do use hard breaks or paragraph breaks in our books, so I'm not sure why you're not able to jump from paragraph to paragraph using Victor Stream. I wonder if you could share an example of a DAISY book that you have that does provide this sort of navigation? I could then take a look at the code and see how it differs from our books.

Daniellalpl wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm Hi Farrah,

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I am not sure about the terminology, but what I mean by a paragraph marker is a hard break or some other way to make navigation by paragraph possible using the Victor Stream, which offers several navigation options: headings (at all the levels available in the file in question); time jump (1 or 5 minutes); and phrase. Some DAISY files have more options than others (including line, sentence, etc.). I think that including more options for navigation in DAISY files would be useful; I had originally thought about page breaks, but your point about potential confusion with page numbers in comparison with the numbers in the original book is very important. In short, some type of marker to provide more navigation options for DAISY files.
Content Coordinator, NNELS
farrah@nnels.ca
Toll Free 1-855-383-5761 ext 1033
farrah