Favourite Books

Anything not related to work goes here.

Favourite Books

Post by
Sabina
»
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 am
As a librarian, I can't stop myself any longer from asking that most burning of questions: what are books that you have known and loved?
Sabina Iseli-Otto at NNELS
1-855-383-5761, ext. 1031
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Re: Favourite Books

Post by
Karoline
»
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 am
I can't believe no one has responded to this. LOL BTW, that includes me. How many days do you have? I love so many books. I really enjoyed Still Alice. I also love Nelson Mendella's Bio, Long Road to freedom.
You?
Karoline

Post by
Sabina
»
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 am
Haha! And I forgot to turn on notifications for this post and broken-hearted, had stopped checking. :)

Yes, Still Alice is quite a book. You mean the one about the linguistics professor who gets Alzheimer's at 50, right? Lisa Genova has written other good ones. I will try to find some for NNELS!

I read that book about 10 years ago when a friend recommended it. I remember it being eye-opening.

I'm sure Long Road to Freedom is another incredible story.

My favourite books keep shifting but my favourite of all time is, and probably always be, The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. The Cracks by Anne Dandurand is a beloved second. Close third in One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Sometimes another book is that close third one.

Thank you so much for replying. You've made my day, and I hope you have a good one, too!
Sabina

Post by
Pikiora
»
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 am
I know its totally nerdy but I have been musing on this thread for awhile and I just can't do it! How could I possibly choose?

I sort of find that the books that really stick with me, are the ones on the right subject at the right time?

For instance, in the aftermath of a particularly painful breakup, I remember getting completely lost in the Earth children's series by Jean M Auel, Strong female character, world building, overcoming of adversity all spoke to me. Would it fit now? nah not really.
I have instead decided to sit firmly on the fence but offer this wee token, a link to a thread I have been devouring, my poor list at the library has SO much added.

It is people suggesting 3 books in their favorite genre that are at Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced levels and some of the genres are just fantastic! I've really enjoyed the comments and have learned so much! Take a look, see what you think. :) Take me away to Reddits pick three books thread!
Pikiora

Post by
ka.li
»
Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:01 am
I've been thinking about this for a while as well and it's really hard to choose. Instead I'll take the way out by saying I love Fantasy and Sci-fi and some of my favourite series include Lightbringer by Brent Weeks and The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. 
:D

I wonder how Brandon Sanderson is able to write so much because all his books are massive and he puts out a lot of stories every year. I think he has elves that help him write non-stop all year long.
ka.li

Post by
rmarion
»
Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:16 pm
I to have waited too long to write in this topic. I am not sure if I really have an all time favourite book. I really like books that have a lot of description of geography of the area it takes place. For example, anything by Wilber Smith comes to mind. His writing made me interested in visiting South Africa. It is probably from reading his books I also really enjoyed Long Walk to Freedom. If I am looking for something mindless, I usually resort to murder mysteries such as the Alex Cross series by James Patterson. The writing is generally good. I also enjoy science fiction. Specifically anything space related.
rmarion

Post by
Sabina
»
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:53 am
Good thing we just bought a lot of science fiction books for NNELS. Also, Ka, we found Omnitopia Dawn so we should have that soon.

One of my favourite writers about South Africa is Nadine Gordimer. She wrote a lot of short stories, and the one I heard on the New Yorker Fiction Podcast has stayed with me. Looking her up today reminds me that she won the Nobel Prize for Literature. When I worked in a public library, Wilbur Smith was always popular with readers. Pretty timeless!

Thanks to Ka, I also fell down a rabbit hole of trying to understand how Brandon Sanderson is so productive. His lectures from a course he taught at Brigham Young University are online, in full. It was fun and interesting but I don't know, yet, how he manages to write so much given that he spends his time in these videos talking and not writing.

Pikiora: that Reddit thread is a rich and abundant thing! I wonder other people would like the non-space science fiction Worm series you recommended to me...
Sabina Iseli-Otto at NNELS
1-855-383-5761, ext. 1031
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina