Adobe and PDFs

Adobe and PDFs

Post by
d.ng
»
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 pm
Hi, it's been a while for me, but does anyone know if getting Adobe PDF reader comes automatically when you buy a MS Office package? i bought one from the Source and it is a box. I also am not sure when you download MS Office how to do it to make it accessible. Any tips for downloading MS Office welcome. Also where do you get Adobe Reader, does it come with it? How do you get it set up to sign forms? My MS Office package is 2019.
Thanks so much!
Stay safe.
d.ng

Re: Adobe and PDFs

Post by
j.ylioja
»
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:19 am
Adobe Acrobat Reader is separate from Microsoft Office. You can get it from Adobe's website:
https://get.adobe.com/reader/
Make sure the optional offers are unchecked if you don't want them. You may want the Chrome extension. When you open a pdf in Chrome, it has its own reader, but adding the extension adds a button in chrome to open it directly in Adobe Reader. This is most helpful for reading documents if for some reason Adobe does a better job at rendering it. If you are using magnification this may be less of an issue than if you are trying to use read aloud features or a screen reader. With a screen reader, it's worth knowing about Chrome's reader, Adobe's reader, and occasionally also opening it in Word which will extract the content into a Word document. PDF's can vary widely with accessibility and sometimes one method works better than another. I'm not sure if the extension offers anything else.
If it's a form you need to fill out, you're likely better to download it to a specific folder yourself anyway so you can save it.

Creating an Adobe ID for signatures is in Acrobat Reader preferences. You set up a file with a password that you can use to self-sign a document if the form has a field for it. I kept track of my password since I use it so seldom I have to look it up if I need it.

For Office, it's likely a version that includes a product key. If it does, go to office.com/setup and sign in with your Microsoft account. You should be able to redeem the key. The main difference between the purchased version and a subscription is that the purchased version doesn't get new features as they are developed, but still gets security updates. If you only use it for basic tasks this may not be as much of an issue. With a subscription you get the new features but pay a monthly fee for it. An article that may help:
Download and install or reinstall Microsoft 365 or Office 2019 on a PC or Mac
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... adc4716658
Expand the section that says "Learn more about product keys, assigned licenses, HUP, and volume license versions" for steps to redeem the key. Not much to do specifically for accessibility that I'm aware of. You may want to turn off some of the autoformatting and autocorrect if you don't like it.
Hope this helps.
j.ylioja

Re: Adobe and PDFs

Post by
d.ng
»
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:38 pm
Thank you. This is quite helpful and is exactly what I need.
d.ng