tablets

tablets

Post by
d.ng
»
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:33 am
Hi, Does anyone have tips on accessing Android tablets? Are there good websites or blogs of people who use them with TalkBack and what type they found helpful?
d.ng

Re: tablets

Post by
rmarion
»
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:54 pm
The CCB get together with technology group does have an android users zoom call once a month. I can check for you on other resources as well. When I have a chance, I can forward the details to this subject area on the discussion board on how to join the next zoom call.
rmarion

Post by
Simon
»
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:48 pm
Are you stuck trying to do something, or just looking for resources? I would be curiou about this too, especially where it concerns lesser-known accessibility tricks or finding good accessible apps. I don't know what the AppleVis of the Android world is. I just got a tablet, so I may be able to ehlp.
Simon

Post by
d.ng
»
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:38 am
yes I would be interested in the Android meeting. I would like to get an Android. Apps and tips on using TalkBack with apps would be helpful. Apps for reading eBooks and audiobooks and how people find them is also useful.
d.ng

Post by
rmarion
»
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:30 am
There was an android version of Apple Vis. However, the website has not been maintained for a while from what I understand. When it was created, it look very much like Apple Vis.
rmarion

Post by
rmarion
»
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:24 pm
Here is the Andra group information I was mentioning earlier this week.

Please let your clients who use Android devices know about this meeting.
Thank you.
Tracy and Matthew

Sponsored and hosted by the Canadian Council of the Blind GTT program.

Tracy and Matthew have put this group together to share their experiences navigating Android devices. We welcome the input from users of all experience levels so we can learn together. Please identify yourself when registering with your proper name and zoom screen name.

Date: Wednesday December 16, 2020
Time: 7:00 PM to 8:30 PM EST
Registration required, Email:
aaug.canada@gmail.com
rmarion

Post by
d.ng
»
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:58 am
Thank you. Looking forward to future ones as well.
d.ng

Post by
d.ng
»
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:17 am
Hi, Thanks for the notices on technology.
My new and old computers have the same issues. New Windows 10 update semi killed them. The work well for a bit then they start freezing. If I multitask it seems to speed up and then if I quit or go too long it freezes and turns off the USB ports.

I did download some apps on them. The old one res'd but both take turns working.

When looking for a new computer PC I hope what should I look for? Like I want it to especially have lots of RAM. How much is in newer PC's?

Thanks! Happy New Year!
d.ng

Post by
j.ylioja
»
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:11 am
I haven't bought a new computer in several years, but would say that for RAM, I'd look for at least 8 GB, or 16 if you want a lot. If you get 8 you may want to make sure the machine would support 16 so you could have the option to upgrade later. 32 is likely more than you need unless you're doing something that needs a lot like video editing.
Some other thoughts: Sometimes Windows updates can take a long time to install, especially when a new version comes out. To check that nothing is updating in the background, go to settings, update and security. Make sure it says up to date, and last checked is within the last day or so. Don't worry about any optional ones unless there's something in there you specifically need.
I'm not sure how much this impacts performance but you could also check delivery optimization and turn off Allow downloads from other PC's. With this on, your computer will try get updates from and share updates to other computers.
On my computer I turned off automatic updates in the Windows Store, since I don't use a lot of the store apps, but do manually update them from time to time.
If you use Office 365, go to the file menu, more options, and account, then find the update options. Automatic updates should be on by default, but to make sure you're on the latest version, there's also an option to manually check. I'd leave automatic updates turned on for Office. Manually checking just ensures you're up to date right now and that it's not going to try download in the background right away.
You could also check to see if there's something using a high amount of CPU usage when it gets slow. Open Task Manager, you may need to press a more details button, then sort by CPU usage and check the top few apps. This does update in real time so give it a few seconds once you've sorted.
If there are apps you don't use a lot such as Skype but that start when Windows starts, try closing them from the notification area.
If you have Dropbox running and are working on large files in your Dropbox folder, it tries to update with the Dropbox server as files are changed, so this could cause high internet activity. Word and Excel files shouldn't cause much but if you're doing any audio or video editing in your Dropbox folder it might.

I hope this gives you some ideas.
John
j.ylioja

Post by
d.ng
»
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:32 pm
Thank you so much. I got this computer fixed and found out two antivirus programs at once slow it down. The mouse is on a wire and it is no working well. So time for a new mouse. Also the new tablet now that I saved up. The Source has a way to order and pick up without a credit card, outside the store but ID and order number - I think.
d.ng