Testing a Reading System on ePubTest.org

Library App testing discussion for the SDPP-D Grant projects

Testing a Reading System on ePubTest.org

Post by
Danny
»
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:12 am
Hello friends,

I have just finished filling out an evaluation for a reading system on ePubTest.org, and want to share what I've done so far. I've found lots of ways to get hung up in the site, so perhaps I can save you a little frustration.

Here's how I did it.

1. Go to ePubTest.org and download the current test ePub suite. You'll find a link for the Fundamental Test Suite under the Suites area from the main page.

2. Log in with your username and password, and hit Manage at the top of the page.

3. You now have to create a new Reading System. Scroll down to the Reading Systems heading, and press Add. Fill in the application name and version, along with the name of your operating system and its version. When you hit Add, the new application will appear in your list of systems.

4. Back on the main Manage page, scroll up to the Evaluations heading, and press Add. Choose the reading system you just created from the list, select Accessibility from the Test Suite box, then press Add. This creates an empty evaluation of that reading system.

Note that if you leave the Test Suite box set on ePub 3, you'll get 25 criteria instead of just 4. And none of them will match up with Daniella's note document. How do I know that? ... Don't ask. Just take my word for it. It's confusing.

5. Now it's time to go back again to the main Manage screen. select the evaluation you just created, and press Edit.

6. Open the notes on testing a reading system in the text editor of your choice, then flip back to your web browser.

7. At last, the different test criteria appear, complete with boxes for summaries! Fill in the short and long summaries as directed in the Note document from Daniella, and press Save and Continue.

8. Open the test suite in the app of your choice, in a third window. You want to be able to move fluidly between these three windows, so it pays to set everything up right the first time.

9. Now, You are ready to actually start testing the app. Look at the first question in the Note document, navigate to the appropriate section in the test suite, and perform the test. Then, flip to the ePubTest website window, select Supported or Unsupported in the box on Column 3, and type in any applicable notes. If you want your notes to actually be read by others, you need to check the checkbox directly after the Notes box.

10. Nothing you enter on the site is saved until you press the Save button. Unfortunately, you have to either move forward or back through the screens to save your work, which is kind of annoying. But there are 45 questions to answer, so I saved after answering a half-dozen or so. Never had a problem, but I really didn't want to do it twice.

11. Once you're done, press "Save and Continue to Next Step", then hit the Manage link at the top of the new page. Now, when you look at your evaluation, it should show about 40% completed. That's good. Now you're ready to sail into uncharted waters ... and tell us what happens next!

I really hope the above helps someone. Once you get the hang of it, this isn't a difficult process. It's really kind of fun, actually. I enjoyed applauding all the successes of my beloved Edge.

Have fun!
Danny