Our be digital

Library App testing discussion for the SDPP-D Grant projects

Our be digital

Post by
Karoline
»
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:32 am
I figured I would start the discussion on this app. How is everyone's testing going? So far, I spent pretty much a whole day doing this app with jaws 18 and Windows. I also spent a significant amount of time trying it with android. I went back to do it with and NVDA, and my results were identical to jaws. Anyone else experiencing this?
One very strange observation is that with my android, I could not get into the links. Then when I thought using the Bluetooth keyboard would be helpful so that I can use enter rather than double tapping, everything disappeared! My other question is if the results are identical with jaws and NVDA should I amalgamate the form? Could do a whole separate one which is not a problem but there is nothing different. Hope everyone is having a great day.
Karoline

Re: Our be digital

Post by
rmarion
»
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 am
Generally with testing, you might want to generate separate reports for different screen readers. But if you are getting the exact same results, I guess yo could note this in are summary report after filling out the spreadsheet. I have been looking at RB digital with Mac OS and iOS. The desktop version of the app is very different than the mobile version. The main thing they do have in common, is that they do open a web browser to check out books and create the account.
rmarion

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 am
I did all my testing in the iOS app, after setting up the RBdigital account through my library website. I like the app, but I think I need to revise my report because a few things didn't work as well as I thought when I originally tested. Does anyone else find that moving to a percentage in an audio book doesn't actually work? I mean, when a book is playing there's a screen with options like skip back or forward by 30 seconds, or by chapter, or swipe up or down to set a percentage value. I can swipe on the percentage picker and it says it has changed, but the time played and time remaining information doesn't change, and playback is actually in the same place.
Just wondered if others are experiencing this in their books.
Steve
steve.murgaski

Post by
rmarion
»
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:26 pm
Hello Steve and all. Thanks for mentioning the audio playback issue. At first I didn’t know this was happening on the iOS app as the functions all appeared to be accessible. But when I saw your note earlier today, I took a quick look and it is happening with my app on an iPad as well. From what I can notice is that the swipe function is working and it is moving the slider to a new percentage, but when we take our fingers off, it appears to go back to the last position and continues playing. I checked the percentage, and the only movement was the movement from the audio playing. Jumping ahead or back by 30 seconds works and moving from the previous to next chapters does work. I will see if the slider control works on the desktop version for mac and update my report if it doesn’t.
rmarion

Post by
rmarion
»
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:42 pm
Daniella asked me to look at the following issue by email. I decided to also post the results here as well.

Reading Magazines Experience On the Mac

Here is what happens when I search for magazines. ON the Mac, when you open the app, there are a number of unlabeled buttons. There is a button to brows the library website. Once I click this, safari opens and puts me into the rb digital page at my library. I found a magazine there and click the link for it. It gave me options to read back issues or check out the magazine. Once I checked it out, it gave me a dialog that I had to search for that confirmed that I checked out the magazine. It also gave me an option to check out new issues automatically. Once I closed the dialog, I was presented with the magazine. From this point, I could not read the content. I was able to open parts of the table of contents, but the pages appeared as unlabeled graphics from what I could tell. I couldn’t remember the magazine we tried during the test so I just checked out News Week.

Reading Magazines Experience with iOS
I took a look at the rb digital iOS app again. Here is what happens.

ON the main page you go to the menu button and then choose magazines from the list of options. You are presented with a list of magazines to checkout. I chose national Geographics. Once I chose this magazine, I am brought to the details page similar to the desktop version on the Mac. I can either check out the magazine, or view the list of issues. I checked it out. Once this id done, the dialog appears on the screen informing me it is checked out and I can either just press Okay or automatically checkout all future issues. Once I press OK, I can go back to my checked out items. The magazines appear as one item until you tap the view all button. Once doing this you can get the individual magazine listings on your checked out items. Once you open the magazine, this is where the problems start. You can’t read any of the content and when you try to advance the pages, it goes back to the cover from what I can tell. If you double tap the cover, you do get a list of pages. But this doesn’t work either for moving the focus to the page you choose.
rmarion

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:27 am
Hi all,

As we enter the last stage of the project, we'll be doing some more testing for the library apps.

In the iOS version of the RBdigital app, downloading magazines was problematic, with the app getting stuck in a progress window and or crashing, which resulted in that testers were unable to open magazines and assess this content in IOS.

In the Android app and in Windows, there is a button or link to switch the magazine from pdf to text vie, but I understand that this is not easy to find in Android.

It would be good if we could switch to textview as the default. Has anyone found a way to adjust this in the settings/preferences, regardless of platform?

Thanks!
Daniella.LP

Post by
Karoline
»
Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:54 am
Hi everyone. I have been attempting to login and get the books. I can't find the spot where you are to change to US. I am only seeing audio books.Anyone have any tips? Have you gotten in? I am using Windows 10, IE and JAWS. Thank you.
Karoline

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:06 am
Hi Karoline,

On the website you don't have to choose country, that is only for the mobile apps. I was able to log in to the website using the information provided; I found the form fields for the username and password, and the button/link to sign in is read, but it is not tabbable or identified by JAWS as a button or link, but when I pressed enter, I was successfully loged in.

Once I loged in, I could see different types of content, organized by headings (audiobooks, ebooks, magazines, entertainment, etc.).

Hope this helps.
Daniella.LP

Post by
Karoline
»
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:30 am
So, I am in and exploring the site. Downloading the correct file type is not as clear as it seems. What is the file format everyone gets when going to get it? I only get the OCTF files. I can't seem to get the unprotected file.
I did manage to download the RBDigital app for windows. It is still not so great.
Karoline

Re: RB digital

Post by
Danny
»
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:05 pm
Hey Karoline,

Oh the joys of using inaccessible apps eh?

The file format is different for each type of content. Ebooks, for example, have the .acsm extension. You'll notice they download quite quickly, because the acsm file is actually just a link. When the content is fulfilled, the application will download the book and prepare it for reading.

The search feature works pretty well on the site. Directly before the textbox to type in keywords are buttons to select the type of content you want. You need to click either Audiobook or Ebook, for example, to get the desired edition of Treasure Island.

On an unrelated rant, I did not find that they have improved the responsiveness of the text view for magazines, and it still crashed on me. My tablet isn't the fastest thing around, but no other apps seem to mind. I think there's still a lot of work needed in the magazine view. Now there's a shock, it's using Adobe. Death to PDF!

Anyway, I hope that helps. Happy Saturday!
Danny