Criteria for assessing library reading applications

Library App testing discussion for the SDPP-D Grant projects

Re: Criteria for assessing library reading applications

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:30 pm
Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are right, it does make more sense to use a 1/5 scale, it will be better to capture a wider range of experiences. I will revise the Word document in Dropbox to reflect this change.

Good point about audio captchas not being accessible for deafblind people. Would it be worth to include a question about what the alternative to captcha is, audio or a text question? Or that could be simply recorded in the details.

Thanks to your contributions, the criteria are becoming stronger. And we'll likely also have feedback from the DAISY Consortium in the coming weeks.
Daniella.LP

Post by
rmarion
»
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:47 pm
I think we could just note the issue with captcha accessibility in the comments. It may end up being the case that libraries aren’t using them anyhow. At least OverDrive is not using it on their website.

The only alternative to Captcha’s I am aware of is the system that actually asks a logic question that usually only a human could answer. However, this does pose issues for people that have cognitive issues.
rmarion

Post by
Karoline
»
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:56 pm
Captua are a big problem for some screen readers. I do like the questions better. even the simple I am not a machine ones work well.

Re the scale, I thing the 1-5 works better.
Karoline

Post by
ka.li
»
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:20 pm
Instead of captchas, many sites are moving to a checkbox that requires the user to either check or uncheck the box that says you are not a robot. That to be is the best solution since it can still be an inconvenience having to use plugin to solve the captchas for you. Also the audio ones aren't good either since it can be difficult to hear.
ka.li

Post by
rmarion
»
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 am
I forgot about the check box option that is appearing now. However, I did have an experience that after I checked the box, I was still presented with a captcha as well. I guess the programming on the site was not convinced I was not a robot.
rmarion