Meta Data related question

EPUB testing discussion for the SDPP-D Grant projects

Meta Data related question

Post by
m.castilloux
»
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:43 am
Hi,

I have a question about the question Is accessibility metadata included? in the Epub evaluation question.

In what I believe to be the root file (called content.opf) i found mentions of « metadata ». It looks like that :

<metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
<dc:title id="title">Let Us Not Think of Them As Barbarians: Poems</dc:title>
<dc:identifier id="eISBN9781988732763">urn:isbn:9781988732763</dc:identifier>
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
<dc:creator>Peter Midgley</dc:creator>
<dc:date>2019-06-01</dc:date>
<dc:publisher>NeWest Press</dc:publisher>
<meta name="cover" content="id0049"/>
<meta name="generator" content="Innodata"/>
</metadata>

But it seems that the « main » meta date elements are absent (Summary, the Mode, ModeSufficient, and Feature). The Ace report confirm the absence of these four essentials elements.

Can I answer « no » to the question, even if there is some meta data present in the root file ?

Thanks in advance !
m.castilloux

Re: Meta Data related question

Post by
Danny
»
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:31 pm
Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your excellent question. I'm so sorry the reply is so late. I'm thrilled that you are using the forums to ask questions such as this, and I will do a better job of monitoring them in the future.

Now to your question. Metadata can hold all kinds of information. As you found in the opf file, the title and author are specified, along with the publisher and some other computer-readable tags. These all look good, and are valid metadata. They are not, as you correctly suppose, accessibility metadata. Thus, though the opf file does specify some metadata (as you found), none of it gives information about the accessibility of the publication. As such, you are absolutely right, the answer to the question "Is Accessibility Metadata included" is No.

This is a great question, and now others can learn from it. Please don't hesitate to follow up with further questions, we're all happy to help.
Danny