EPUB testing discussion for the SDPP-D Grant projects

Getting started with Ace

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:41 pm
Hi all,

Here is DAISY's page for Ace

Instalation instructions direct you to download Node.JS.

I downloaded version 10.13.0 LTS (Recommended For Most Users)

The next step is to install Ace propper, from a shell window

On Windows: Windows System->Command Prompt or Start->Run->cmd.exe

On Mac: Applications->Utilities->Terminal

Then type npm install @daisy/ace -g

To test if everything is working, type the following in the Shell or terminal window:

$ ace --version

It should give you 1.0.0

Please see detailed Instructions for running Ace.

I would suggest renaming the file that you are planning to test to simplify the command. Use underscores, or CamelNotation (capitalizing the first letter of each word to separate them without using spaces) or just use one word.

If anyone would like to begin by reviewing a report generated by Ace, you will find one in a new folder I've created in the reports EPUB testing folder in Dropbox.

I hope this is useful to get started. I look forward to learning more about this tool and how it is working for everyone.
Daniella.LP

Re: Getting started with Ace

Post by
Heidi
»
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:05 am
Good morning everyone. I was able to successfully get ACE working on my computer. I was able to generate my first report using the command line. Thank you so much for your suggestion at today's meeting, Danny! Omitting the dollar sign at the beginning of my command sequence worked like a charm.
Heidi

Re: Getting started with Ace

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 pm
Hi all,

It is great that you got Ace to work in your computer, Heidi, thanks for the update.

I believe that the reports generated by Ace will be very helpful to guide any manual testing of EPUB files we do from now on. Please use this tool to test your books for this week and take the time to get familiar with the reports you generate with Ace, and what information they provide.

This page explains the structure and contents of the HTML reports generated by Ace.

The aim is to use this tool as much as we can. This will also allow us to better utilize our time. Manual testing will be to check for specific things (based on the Ace reports), and how specific features of the book are presented in the different reading applications (for the latter, we'll have the short list of questions in Excel).

In our call today, Danny mentioned that the Ace report he obtained actually missed some things that he had already identified. This is entirely possible. Remember that using Ace is only the first step in automated testing. The next step would be to do the manual testing, whether it is using SMART (which also requires looking at the code) or purely by hand, similar to how we have been conducting the tests.

Any comments or questions about Ace or the HTML reports, please post them here, for everyone's benefit.

Thanks!
Daniella.LP