Karoline: Production Tasks

Let's make some books.

Karoline: Production Tasks

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:36 pm
Here are the steps you will need to take in order to format the book and make it ready to be converted to DAISY format. Since you have already gotten started, I will refer to page numbers in the document that you sent me, in this outline. Unless otherwise noted, the links in the instructions below will take you to pages in the NNELS Wiki. As you know, the NNELS Style has been attached and the formatting has been cleared, so the document is good to go!
  • At the beginning of the document, add the title of the book and the author. The title should be Heading 1 Style, the author should be Normal.
  • Add the section "About this Digital Talking Book". Note: Usually, this section comes just before the publishing information, but in this book, the publishing information comes at the end. Since we should not mess with the order of things in the book, in this case, the About this Digital Talking book section will come just before the table of contents.
  • This book has two instances of the Table of Contents. We can remove the first one, as it was automatically generated by the ePub. Currently, the one you can delete appears on pages 1-4 of your document.
  • Format the remaining table of contents according to the instructions provided here in the NNELS wiki. Note: you do not need to use Heading styles within the Table of Contents. It can be formatted as a list (the recipes will be nested under the chapter titles).
  • Remove all extra paragraph breaks in the text by using the Find and Replace tool to Replace ^p^p with ^p until there are no more replacements to be made.
  • Apply Heading styles to the sections and sub-sections within the text.
  • Use un-ordered lists for ingredients, and ordered lists for recipe instructions.
  • In the "Middle Eastern Grocery Section" at the end of the book, use un-ordered lists. The individual stores will be nested under their geographical locations.
  • Format the Index as a list. Have a read through the instructions here. You will need to add a Producer's note (using the producer's note style)about the index - the text for this is included on the Wiki page on indexes.
  • Before the publishing and copyright info, add the heading Publishing Information (more info here).
  • Remove all hyperlinks from text. See instructions here in the NNELS wiki
  • Remove all images
  • Add a Terms of Use section at the very end of the document. Instructions and details can be found here.
If you have any questions along the way, feel free to post them here.
Thank you!
leahbrochu

Re: Karoline: Production Tasks

Post by
Karoline
»
Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm
Thank you for this list. I have done all the easy stuff. BTW, there were 245 ^p^p to replace.
I think I also figured out one of my word issues. I had JAWS ribbon on. I am hoping that now the regular short cuts will work.
Thank you for your help.
Karoline

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:26 pm
Ah yes, there can be tonnes of extra paragraph marks sneaking around!
I'm glad you figured out what was going on with your shortucts - well done!
leahbrochu

Post by
Karoline
»
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 am
OMG!! I think I am finished. Not sure how this happened. Leah, I'll email you a copy. Please let me know if I missed anything.
Karoline

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 am
Wonderful! I will take a look right away.
leahbrochu

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 pm
Hi Karoline!

The document is looking really good!! I did make some catches which you can fix if you have time :D This is really picky work and you are doing awesome, so don't forget that! If any of my requests below don't make sense, please feel free to ask for clarification. Thanks again!
  • You do not need to use headings within the table of contents itself (except of course for the "Table of Contents" heading). The chapter titles and the recipe names can both just be in the List Paragraph format; the recipes will be nested under each chapter title.
  • I am not sure if you tried to do the table of contents as a list or not, but it did not end up formatted that way. Since you need to remove the headings from the Table of Contents, it would make sense to simply Clear the Formatting from the entire table of contents, then style it as a list paragraph, then nest the recipes under their chapter titles.
  • Make sure the sections within the text are marked up as headings where appropriate. For example, the section "Basic Cooking Tools" should be Heading 1 style (in the book, not in the table of contents)
  • In the "Basic Spice Mixes" Section, the individual spice mix recipes (for example, Mendy Spice Mix) should be in "Heading 3" style, and the ingredients should be formatted as un-ordered lists. The instructions that come at the end should be formatted as an ordered list.
  • Other small changes
    • How to Stuff Grape Leaves should be in Heading 2 style, and the steps should be in an ordered list
    • the recipe description under Roasted Green Wheat with Chicken should be Normal style (it is in Heading 2 currently)
    • How to Make the Date Filled Cookies should be in Heading 3 style, and the steps should be an ordered list
    • Rose and Orange Blossom-Scented Milk Pudding should be Heading 2
    • The Rice Pudding recipe steps should be in an ordered list
    • The Middle Eastern Grocery Stores themselves should be formatted as lists under their geographic headings, and I also noticed that the ones under New Zealand and United States were missing.
    • items in the index should be formatted as a list, and some items will be nested under their parent items. You will also need to add a Producer's Note, and format the alphabetical headings as "Strong" text instead of as headings. Please read over the NNELS page for more guidance, and feel free to ask if you need more clarification
    • Please add Heading 1 Style to the section "The Tuttle Story: Books to Span the East and West"
    • Please add the text Publishing Information in a Heading 1 style before the copyright information
    • There are two "Terms of Use" sections at the end of the document. Please remove one, and style the heading "Terms of Use" as Heading 1
leahbrochu

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:28 pm
Hi Karoline,

You did an awesome job with the book! There were just a few final things that I noticed when I went over the book, and I went ahead and fixed them as I went along. If there had been anything major, I would have asked you to take care of it, but since having someone go over the books is a part of the process, I made the minor changes as needed.

For your information, here is what I needed to fix:
  • The table of contents, index, and Middle Eastern Grocery Stores section were not fully formatted as a list. I am not sure why this is, as I am sure that you tended to that, but it has actually happened to me before when I submitted a book to Farrah. I am not sure if it has something to do with you having a PC and me having a Mac, but either way, it was a quick fix.
  • There were a few extra paragraph marks and a few "soft-line breaks" in the text, so I fixed these up so that the spacing was regular.
I will email you my version of the text, so if you would like to go over it and let me know if you have any comments or questions, that would be great! I will send it to Farrah soon, and we will get uploaded to the NNELS collection, so that everyone can enjoy these delicious recipes!
leahbrochu