Richard - Production Discussion Space

Let's make some books.

Richard - Production Discussion Space

Post by
jennlortie
»
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:51 pm
Hi Richard,

Since we have been asked to discuss as much as possible in the forums, I have created this space with the list of steps for producing your book. Many of the steps are similar to what you have already done with Hit the Ground Running (except, of course, there are a few more).

If you have any questions or if you're stuck on anything, please feel free to ask in here and we can all work together to come to a solution! You can also look on the wiki if you're looking for instructions on how to do any of these tasks: https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?id ... text:start

Production Steps for Laboratory of Love

1. Ensure the NNELS style is active and applied to the document.
2. If possible, make note of the heading titles in the unedited document so they can be easily reapplied.
3. Remove all styles in document.
4. Apply headings to document.
5. Remove all hyperlinks.
6. Remove all extra paragraph breaks by using the Find and Replace tool to Replace ^p^p with ^p until there are no more replacements to be made.
7. Remove any cover images.
8. Add the title and the name of the author to the beginning of the document.
9. Add the NNELS “About this digital talking book” and “Terms and Conditions”.
10. Add heading “Copyright and Publishing Information” and/or “Dedication” and/or “About the Author” over appropriate sections.
11. Remove any duplicate Table of Contents and apply “List Paragraph” style to the table of contents using bullet points.
12. Apply Quote style to any blockquotes that appear within the book.
13. Apply Citation style to the person who said each quote, unless the person is an author in which case use Author style.
14. Ensure Parts are Heading 1 and Chapters within Parts are Heading 2.
15. Remove any images that do not add to the story.
16. Read the book to see if there are any obscure errors throughout.

We can talk more in detail about each step as you work through them.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Jenn
jennlortie

Re: Richard - Production Discussion Space

Post by
rmarion
»
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:39 pm
I have been working on many of the tasks mentioned here. I have a couple of minor issues at this point. I have applied the list paragraph style to the table of contents. I am not sure if the bullets were added automatically. For some reason my screen reader is not reading them. I am thinking they are not there and I am missing a step. Also, is there a way of looking for block quotes without reading the entire book? If not I will most likely find them when I am reading the book for errors in the text.
rmarion

Post by
jennlortie
»
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:03 pm
Hi Richard,

Great questions!

It's sort of strange with the List style, because the Style is called the same regardless of what the bullets look like. In my version of Word, there is a way to select a bulleted list or a numbered list at the top of the Paragraph section in the Home panel. If you use this instead of the Styles section, it should come up as bulleted. I'm not sure if that helps?

One trick for finding block quotes is to search for this symbol in the text “—” since this often precedes the citation name.

I have looked at your document, and it's looking great! You're almost done!

Here are some things that still need to be done:

The title should be Heading 1.

There should be no section breaks (these can easily be replaced with paragraph breaks using Find and Replace - Replace: ^b with ^p).

There are still a few instances where there are two paragraph breaks in a row. You can fix this by selecting all ^p^p and replacing with ^p (as many times as possible until there are 0 replacements made).

Great job finding most of the headings. There are still some missing. These can be found by finding ^$^p (meaning "any letter”+paragraph break). Because most paragraph breaks should appear after punctuation, and not letters, this will usually bring you to the headings. This is also a good way to find blockquotes, because often the citation will not end in punctuation!

I also noticed that your NNELS style is applied, but it has been modified slightly. This happens to me all the time and I always have to go back to the original source where I downloaded the NNELS style (it was emailed to me) and then I have to reinstall it when this happens. A bit annoying, I know! I think the way to avoid it is to always say “no” to the prompt when you save the file that says “Would you also like to save changes to the Template”… Does this make sense?

And I know you mentioned you're still working on this, but here are the links to the "About this Digital Talking Book" https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?id ... gital-book and "Terms of Use" https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?id ... rms-of-use sections of the wiki as I forgot to link them originally!

Awesome work, Richard! This is really coming along!
jennlortie

Post by
rmarion
»
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm
Thanks for the info that you provided. I just have a couple more questions. Since the NNELS style was modified when I applied it, when I remove the style again, will I have to reapply the headings and other style markers again?You mentioned that the title should be heading level 1. When do you use the title style or book title style then?

After writing my post yesterday, I was looking at the styles again and did notice when I went to the longer styles list there was a style for the bulleted lists. I will fix the table of contents. It was interesting to note that I missed some headings. I mainly used the table of contents to find the headings I marked. The additional headings that you mentioned, will they need to go at a lower level of headings?

I also added the about this digital talking book and terms of use sections to the file. The file in the dropbox is the most current version I have been working on.
rmarion

Post by
jennlortie
»
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:39 pm
Hi Richard,

I have responded to your questions within your quoted text, below. Let me know if these answers are clear. :)

Jenn
rmarion wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm Thanks for the info that you provided. I just have a couple more questions. Since the NNELS style was modified when I applied it, when I remove the style again, will I have to reapply the headings and other style markers again?

Jenn's response: No - the Headings, quotes, etc. should convert to the new NNELS style.

You mentioned that the title should be heading level 1. When do you use the title style or book title style then?

Jenn's response: Good question! I asked Farrah to respond to this question, because I've also wondered this! I've never used the title or book title style for NNELS production.

After writing my post yesterday, I was looking at the styles again and did notice when I went to the longer styles list there was a style for the bulleted lists. I will fix the table of contents. It was interesting to note that I missed some headings. I mainly used the table of contents to find the headings I marked. The additional headings that you mentioned, will they need to go at a lower level of headings?

Jenn's response: Yes! They are one level lower... I didn't notice them until going though your edited version either. One of them is "The Boy" and I think there's also "The Girl" and "The Angel".

I also added the about this digital talking book and terms of use sections to the file. The file in the dropbox is the most current version I have been working on.

Jenn's response: Wonderful! I will check it out soon!
jennlortie

Post by
farrah
»
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:31 pm
In response to the question about Word's book title style, we don't use this style as there's no structure inherent in it that can get translated to DAISY XML. For example, Heading 1 style maps to <h1> tag in XML, Heading 2 to <h2>, etc. The actual title of the book is input into the file's metadata, which translates to the DAISY XML <doctitle> tag. Here's a link to the wiki about how to input the file's metadata (author, title, publisher): https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?i ... t_metadata
rmarion wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm You mentioned that the title should be heading level 1. When do you use the title style or book title style then?
Content Coordinator, NNELS
farrah@nnels.ca
Toll Free 1-855-383-5761 ext 1033
farrah

Post by
jennlortie
»
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:28 pm
Thanks, Farrah! So the Book/Title styles are built into Word itself and NNELS doesn't use them... Do you have any more questions for us, Richard?
farrah wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:31 pm In response to the question about Word's book title style, we don't use this style as there's no structure inherent in it that can get translated to DAISY XML. For example, Heading 1 style maps to <h1> tag in XML, Heading 2 to <h2>, etc. The actual title of the book is input into the file's metadata, which translates to the DAISY XML <doctitle> tag. Here's a link to the wiki about how to input the file's metadata (author, title, publisher): https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?i ... t_metadata
rmarion wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:30 pm You mentioned that the title should be heading level 1. When do you use the title style or book title style then?
jennlortie

Post by
rmarion
»
Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:47 pm
No I don't think I have any questions right now. I did figure out what I did wrong when applying the style. Even though I loaded the file, I forgot the second step of attaching the style. So it added the NNELS styles to the list for the book file itself, but it apparently was still using the normal style. I think it is correct now. Let me know if it isn't.
rmarion

Post by
jennlortie
»
Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:06 pm
Hi Richard,

I just checked out the latest version of your book and it looks like it's done! Woohoo!

Normally, when I finish producing a book, Farrah will review it and she usually makes a couple changes if they're minor and lets me know, or she'lll send it back and request me to make the changes.

So, in that spirit, I just made a couple minor changes and uploaded it to the Dropbox. I'm pretty sure it's done, but I guess we'll see what Farrah says. Here are the changes I made:
- Changed the title to have each word capitalized instead of All Caps
- Changed the Acknowledgements section to List style, since the author has listed a bunch of people to acknowledge.

For the time being, if you could focus on responding to the forum posts in Book Analysis, that would be wonderful!

Congratulations on finishing it! :)
Jenn
jennlortie

Post by
rmarion
»
Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:07 am
That is great news. I knew I was close to being finished, but didn’t realize it was quite that close. I will proceed with commenting on other topics in the forms then. Thanks.
rmarion