Feedback for Hit the Ground Running

Let's make some books.

Feedback for Hit the Ground Running

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:21 pm
Thank you so much to all of you who worked so hard on editing the book Hit the Ground Running. I think it is safe to say that we all learned quite a bit during this process, and it is all very promising! In this post we will provide you with some general feedback based on your work and your responses to our questions.
  • Editing the e-text
    • Installing the template: Nearly everyone was able to successfully install the NNELS Template. For reference, the full discussion that took place on the forums can be found in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=152&t=128&start=10.
    • Clearing the Styles from the document's existing template: Again, almost everyone was able to successfully remove the styles from the document's template. We have instructions for this on the NNELS Wiki, but they did not work for everyone, and a few of you were able to create and share different workarounds, like those found in this post: viewtopic.php?f=152&t=128&start=10#p833, which shares a list of instructions for deleting the styles in Word 2016 for Windows, and this post: viewtopic.php?f=152&t=128&start=10#p899, which shares information about creating a macro to perform the steps needed to delete the styles.
    • Removing formatting: this was also well done by everyone. As some of you may have learned, one way to do this is by selecting all the text, then applying the "Clear Formatting" option in the styles pane. One thing to note is that this should only be done once you have deleted the document's original styles, otherwise your Word program may freeze when you do this.
    • Attaching the NNELS template: Nearly everyone was able to attach and use the NNELS Template. Further discussion took place in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=152&t=128&start=10
    • Removing Hyperlinks: Most people were able to do this successfully. In my own work, I have found that links will sometimes persist, even after I have cleared the formatting from the document, so that is why I offered advice found in this forum reply (viewtopic.php?f=152&t=122&start=10#p1019). Basically, when I come across a hyperlink, and it is still an active link even after I have tried the instructions given on the Wiki (https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?id ... text:links), I will Clear Formatting, then remove the individual hyperlink.
    • Creating headings: This was well done, and there were a number of different ways to do it. The way we usually do it is by using going through the Epub and the Word document at the same time, and using the Epub text as a reference to indicate what text should be formatted as headings. In this post, two options for finding headings are discussed - using JAWS quick keys, and using the Search function in Word: (viewtopic.php?f=134&t=245&p=1286#p1286).
      • Note: The options presented in that topic are good for identifying existing headings, but part of the work we do in the production of etexts is add headings for navigation. For example, we add the heading "Publishing Information" before the publishing details, and the heading "About the Author" before the information about the author. This is something that we will clarify in the instructions we provide you with, along with your individual books.
    • Dealing with images: This was overall very well done, even though our instructions could have been more clear!
      • Finding images: Using JAWS, you can hit “Insert + Z” in order to turn on Quick Keys, then you can look for graphics with G. One person found images within the Word document by using the command “Control + Shift + O”. On a Mac, you can also use the Find dialog, and search for ^g.
    • Navigating Microsoft Word: This was a little different for everyone, depending on their familiarity with Word and their existing technical skills. This is something we hope to be able to help with by improving the information on the Wiki, so stay tuned!
    • Troubleshooting: You are definitely a team of excellent troubleshooters! Your numerous workarounds, ideas,
      and advice has been so helpful and interesting. You reported that you engaged in troubleshooting by: reading the forums,
      using the Wiki, reading books and guides about the software you are using, contacting Microsoft word, and of course, Googling.
      • Sky created a post about using JAWS Text Analyzer (viewtopic.php?f=134&t=158) to help identify any inconsistencies within your document. Examples of inconsistencies include un-spaced punctuations, font issues, space runs, etc.
  • The NNELS Wiki
    • Accessibility: Most people found the Wiki to be fairly accessible, and were able to navigate it successfully. We hope to work on making it even better for everyone in the coming weeks.
    • Usefulness: Similarly, most people found the Wiki to be useful, but there is definitely room for improvement. Please keep using the Wiki, and feel free to post on the forum about places where you think it could be better.
I hope you find this information useful! If you haven't already, you will soon receive personal feedback on your own work from your buddy. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to post them here!

Thanks so much for all your awesome work!
leahbrochu

Re: Feedback for Hit the Ground Running

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:17 pm
Hi Leah. Thank you for the encouraging feedback. I did have a few small questions come up while editing, which I'd like to ask.

There wasn't any text at the beginning of the book, giving the usual information like title, author, copyright date. I'm guessing that information was included in the first picture? Can we simply insert that information at the beginning?

The book seems to have two tables of contents. The first one I wanted to delete, since I think it was just there as a list of hyperlinks, and we made them not links anymore. Can we delete unnecessary text like that?

Also, this may be a JAWS thing, but my copy of Word freezes whenever I select all text in the document, even after I've replaced the styles with NNELS styles. (It could also be my poor old computer.) I wonder if anyone else had that problem. When I unloaded JAWS and used Narrator, I was able to select all text and do things like clear formatting.

Thanks very much. This was a great learning experience for me, and a fun read.
steve.murgaski

Re: Feedback for Hit the Ground Running

Post by
jennlortie
»
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:26 pm
Hi Steve,

Great questions!

It's exactly right that you would add the title of the book (Heading 1) and author name (Normal style) at the beginning of the book. This book has a cover image in lieu of the written title, and this first image should be deleted.

You are also right that you should delete one of the table of contents. Normally, they are basically the same so you can choose whichever one you like. The links should be removed, and the content within the Table of Contents should be a bulleted list.

My computer freezes all the time during editing - it's really important to save often! I save all the time before I ever try to Select All. It depends on the size of the document, usually, whether or not this happens. It's possible that JAWS worsens this problem.

Let us know if you have any more questions!
Jenn
steve.murgaski wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:17 pm Hi Leah. Thank you for the encouraging feedback. I did have a few small questions come up while editing, which I'd like to ask.

There wasn't any text at the beginning of the book, giving the usual information like title, author, copyright date. I'm guessing that information was included in the first picture? Can we simply insert that information at the beginning?

The book seems to have two tables of contents. The first one I wanted to delete, since I think it was just there as a list of hyperlinks, and we made them not links anymore. Can we delete unnecessary text like that?

Also, this may be a JAWS thing, but my copy of Word freezes whenever I select all text in the document, even after I've replaced the styles with NNELS styles. (It could also be my poor old computer.) I wonder if anyone else had that problem. When I unloaded JAWS and used Narrator, I was able to select all text and do things like clear formatting.

Thanks very much. This was a great learning experience for me, and a fun read.
jennlortie