End of Hit the Ground Running Project

Let's make some books.

End of Hit the Ground Running Project

Post by
Rachel_Osolen
»
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:41 am
Hello Everyone,

We are at the end of our work for Hit the Ground Running.

Please share your edited documents with your Buddy for them to review by the end of this weekend.

We would also like your answers to the following questions:

What tasks were you able to complete out of the following?
  • Remove all formatting from the document, including bold, underline, and italics
  • Convert images that contain text to text; remove images entirely where they're not necessary; replace images that represent text breaks to three asterisks ***
  • Define the structure of the document by adding headings and sub-headings
  • Add other styles where needed, such as blockquotes, citation, author, and poetry styles
  • Convert text to lists where needed
  • Ensure all hyperlinks are removed - the documents will not convert to DAISY otherwise
How did you clear all formatting and links in the document?

How did you select images in the file to delete and edit?

How did you create your headings?

How did you apply other formatting to the document as assigned?

How did you navigate through Microsoft Word?

What did you find difficult in Microsoft Word?

How did you troubleshoot these problems?

Did you find the wiki to be helpful?

Was it accessable?

What did you not find helpful about the wiki?

Early next week, after your Buddy has had time to review your work, we will be creating topics for each of your individual projects, as well as other opportunities for your feedback. These links will also be emailed out to you as they are created on the forum.

Thank you again for all your work and feedback so far. You are all doing a great job.
As Always,

Rachel
Rachel_Osolen

Re: End of Hit the Ground Running Project

Post by
ka.li
»
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:33 pm
I was able to do all the tasks by switching between NVDA and JAWS.

I selected all the text with control-a. Then I used control-shift-F9 to clear all links and other fields. JAWS crashed on me when doing this so I used NVDA instead.

Using JAWS, I turned quick keys on with insert-z and navigated to each graphic by pressing G. I looked at the surrounding text to determine whether I needed to do anything with the image. If it was an image of a separator, I put 3 "*" at that place. If the image had text, I would extract the text and put the text after the image. Then, I would copy the entire text of the document with Control-a and paste it in a text file. That removed all images and all formatting as well but because I put text at each image, the text for all images ended up at the correct locations.

I used the Alt-Control-1 through 6 shortcut to add the headings after selecting the text.

I used the Codex conversion tool to convert the EPub into a regular HTML file. This way would allow me to see what types of styling information was used in the book such as blockquotes, lists, levels of headings etc. Also, if I needed to re-add any images, I can get the image I need and put it back into the word document because when Codex converted the book, it gave me a zipped HTML file.

I accessed the ribbon a lot since I didn't know the shortcut to access specific functions unless it's something I use regularly. Once I found the function though, I would make a note in my head what the shortcut is and use it next time I needed it.

For some reason, if I used ^g to jump to the next graphic, it would skip all the graphics with separators and the book cover image. In this case with Hit The Ground Running, it took me directly to the last 3 images. When using NVDA, it would also not see the same images that Word skipped over and again took me to the last 3 images.

I switched over to JAWS which was able to see all the images.

Yes. the information was helpful.

Was it accessible?
The wiki was easy to navigate but some examples were shown as screenshots so I would say the Wiki was mostly accessible.

The main issue I had with it was the use of screenshots to show examples. I could follow what the wiki was talking about and I could use OCR on the screenshots but it's not a reliable way because OCR is still prone to errors. My suggestion is to type out the examples so screen readers can see it.
Last edited by ka.li on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ka.li

Re: End of Hit the Ground Running Project

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:40 pm
What tasks were you able to complete out of the following?

Remove all formatting from the document, including bold, underline, and italics
Yes

Convert images that contain text to text; remove images entirely where they're not necessary; replace images that represent text breaks to three asterisks ***
I replaced the images that represent text breaks to three asterisks but did not extract the text or convert images to text. I found images as follows: turned on JAWS quick keys with Insert+Z; pressed the letter G to get to the next graphic.

Define the structure of the document by adding headings and sub-headings
Yes

Add other styles where needed, such as
blockquotes, citation, author, and poetry styles,
Convert text to lists where needed
I did not find instances of any of these in the original version of the book.

Ensure all hyperlinks are removed - the documents will not convert to DAISY otherwise
Yes

I used Word 2016 with JAWS to edit this book. In my experience working with large files, if I select all text to clear format or remove all hyperlinks at once, my computer sometimes crashes, and so I work in sections. I used Control+Windows+K to mark a place in the document; then I moved down about 20 pages and pressed Insert+Space Bar followed by the letter M to mark that block of text.

I was able to remove all the formatting by selecting blocks of text as described above and then pressing Alt+H and then e.

To remove hyperlinks, I also worked with several pages at a time, rather than the entire document; after selecting blocks of text, I pressed Shift+Control+F9.

I pressed Shift+Control+Right Arrow to select smaller images. I then replace them with three asterisks. The instructions to edit images were not very clear for me, and so this is something I need to work on.

I used Word's command Control+Alt+1, 2, 3 to create different level headings.

Using Word keyboard shortcuts.

I am not yet able to navigate EPUB files in my computer to use as a reference, so I used Pandoc to convert the EPUB file to .html, to be able to check the styles and apply them to the file I was editing.

The post on how I use Pandoc to convert epub to .docx is at:
viewtopic.php?f=116&t=98

The command I used to convert to HTML (not including anything related to NNELS styles) is:
"pandoc -o Hughes.html Hughes.epub"

To explore the document, I mostly used JAWS Quick keys (Insert+Z) and then pressed the letter H to move to the next heading, G to move to the next image, P to move to the next paragraph. I also learned that one of the items that the JAWS Text Analyzer finds is described as "space run at column #", and this found smaller images.

I find the ribbons quite time consuming when I don't know the keyboard command for a specific task. I also find that JAWS does not always read the command the cursor is on, but rather the previous or next command, so this makes it quite time consuming to listen to. As well, I have to wait for the whole command to be read by JAWS to listen for the shortcut; I am not aware of a way to find the keyboard shortcuts more quickly. If I press the wrong key or if I Alt+Tab to a text editor to make a note of something and leave Word, the menues are closed when I return to it, and so I have to start the whole process of going through the ribbon again.

Searching online MS help forums and other resources; while I find many of them are helpful, they often show screen shots (for example of the options within the menues) and do not specify keyboard commands so I use them as a guide. I also use a digital recorder to simplify note taking while I work with menus in Word.

The wiki was indeed helpful.

Was it accessable?

For the most part, the wiki was accessible; but as Ka pointed out, it contains screenshots that are not accessible for screen readers. It would be great to have all text/verbal instructions for these.

Several instructions in the wiki refer to versions of Word previous to Office 365; it does not specify what version the commands work on, and this made it sometimes confusing.
It may be worth to update the instructions in the wiki to include keyboard commands and buttons specific to the later version of Word. It would also be helpful to always specify the version of the software. Another useful piece of information for the wiki would be screen-reader specific instructions to accomplish each task; these could be either in sections devoted to screen readers, or in a subheading following the instructions for specific tasks, one subheading per screen reader..
Daniella.LP