Step 1: NNELS Template for Word

Let's make some books.

Step 1: NNELS Template for Word

Post by
Sabina
»
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm
But before we get started on your books, we’re going to begin by all working on the same book together (“Hit the Ground Running”; Farrah posted guidelines for editing in the forums over here: http://discuss.nnels.ca/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=122).

By all working on the same book, we hope to become more familiar with Word, and with using the NNELS Template.

Step one of this process is installing the NNELS Template in your Microsoft Word. Instructions are in our wiki: https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?id ... structions, and we welcome your questions here!
Sabina Iseli-Otto at NNELS
1-855-383-5761, ext. 1031
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Re: Step 1: NNELS Template for Word

Post by
Sabina
»
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm
You will need the "Hit the Ground Running" e-text file to install the Template properly. I sent that e-text file to you by email just a few minutes ago. Please email me if you did not receive it.

Also, in case you're wondering, we converted this file to e-text using the free and open-source Calibre software: http://calibre-ebook.com/ :)
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:27 pm
I'm having trouble following the instructions on the wiki using a keyboard. So far I haven't been able to access the organizer, in the styles pain, to delete the extra styles in the "Hit The Ground Running" book. But I have a few solutions in mind.

1) I'll phone Microsoft's accessibility hotline for office, tomorrow, and see what they say.

2) I've seen that it's possible to do this with a macro, which might be useful to develop in any case. For example, there's a macro I found online that deletes unused styles in a Word document. With a bit of fiddling it could be made to delete all the styles it's possible to delete.

3) Like a lot of other file formats, .docx is secretly a .zip file. By changing the file extension to .zip I'm able to decompress it and see the files Word uses to style the text. It might be possible to manually replace the styles in there with the template styles, then change the name back to .docx and open it the way we want. That would be a last resort though.
steve.murgaski

Post by
Sabina
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:07 am
Thank you for trying these avenues, Steve. One more thing we can do is pre-apply the style to books if we can't figure out a simple way to so this. We'll give it another day or so in case we can solve all the problems.
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 am
The good news is that I've figured out how to get to the styles organizer using the keyboard, with a lot of help from Microsoft's Disability Answers Desk. That may be worth adding to the instructions in the wiki. The bad news is that we can't figure out how to delete multiple styles at a time. (The answers desk woman said she couldn't do that with a mouse either.) So it still seems best to me to create a macro. The macro could delete all styles and import them from the NNELS template, all in one key press.

For now though, you can access the styles organizer by pressing alt-h f y, tab to manage styles and press space bar, then tab to import/export and press space bar. You'll then be in the organizer described in the wiki.

If you're comfortable using the quick access toolbar, a faster way is to add the organizer to the QAT. Press alt to bring up the ribbons, then up-arrow to get to the QAT. Left arrow to customize QAT, and enter on that. Arrow down to more commands. Choose all commands, and when you tab to the list of commands you can press o (first letter navigation) to get to organizer. Hit enter on that, and getting to the organizer directly will be added to your QAT.
steve.murgaski

Post by
rmarion
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:35 pm
Thanks Steve for contacting MS accesssibility about this. I tried importing the template into MS word for the Mac yesterday and was able to perform the instructions as they existed in the wiki. I found the styles under the format menu and was able to delete all but six of the applied styles. then I applied the NNELS template to the document. I have not tried formatting the book yet. I will be doing this either later today or tomorrow. I can send Sabina my document as it exists if she wants to see if it did actually work.
rmarion

Post by
rmarion
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:40 pm
Further to my last note, when I was in the styles organizer, the list of existing styles appeared on the mac as a table. Once I interacted with the table, I was able to select all of the existing styles and then go to the delete button. It was at this point that a dialog box appeared for each of the styles that could not be deleted.
rmarion

Post by
ka.li
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:35 pm
I had to look up a few things in addition mainly because I wasn't sure exactly where some of the dialogues were in Word 2016 since they like to move things around from version to version but I was able to get the template working yesterday by primarily following the instructions on the wiki.

I wasn't able to delete all the styles at once so I ended up deleting them one by one by going into the context menu with each style selected and then choosing the delete option. The ones that couldn't be deleted were graded out.
ka.li

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:10 pm
Thanks both of you! It's very interesting that Word for Mac does this more accessibly, and I never thought of trying the context menus. I'm using Word 2013 in Windows. There are so many styles to delete in Hit the Ground Running that I'm still hoping to make or find a macro, unless someone figures out how to select and delete a bunch at a time in Windows.
steve.murgaski

Post by
Karoline
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:06 pm
It took me all day to do this. I gave up eventually and got sighted help. Jaws and NVDA made things a little more challenging because things kept moving around. I am also learning Word 16. Anyway, I am all set and tomorrow I'll start looking the edeting process.
I did try to select all the text to remove the formatting, but it froze my computer. I am thinking I may have to split it up. For now, I am walking away from my computer. Have a good night everyone!
Karoline