Step 2: Hit the Ground Running

Let's make some books.

Step 2: Hit the Ground Running

Post by
farrah
»
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm
Once you have the NNELS Template installed, and a copy of Hit the Ground Running, you can get started with editing.

Below are the main steps that need to be completed so that the Word file converts to a well-structured DTBook XML file (and later converts to a DAISY and EPUB file).

What to edit:
  • Remove all formatting from the document, including bold, underline, and italics
  • Convert images that contain text to text; remove images entirely where they're not necessary; replace images that represent text breaks to three asterisks ***
  • Define the structure of the document by adding headings and sub-headings
  • Add other styles where needed, such as blockquotes, citation, author, and poetry styles
  • Convert text to lists where needed
  • Ensure all hyperlinks are removed - the documents will not convert to DAISY otherwise
Note #1: Currently, NNELS removes inline formatting such as bold and italics due to issues with DAISY conversion (unless they are critical to the understanding of the text). Bold and italics can be added back in to the DTBook XML file directly. This is something we are considering if it improves accessibility. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Note #2: We have often wondered if there is a better way to represent a text break? A text break indicates a change of context in the book. Books usually use images or extra paragraph spacing as text breaks. NNELS converts these to three asterisks.
farrah

Re: Step 2: Hit the Ground Running

Post by
ryano
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:12 am
Questions,

I have done number 1, but not sure what expect from those list?

Convert images that contain text to text; remove images entirely where they're not necessary; replace images that represent text breaks to three asterisks ***
Define the structure of the document by adding headings and sub-headings
Add other styles where needed, such as blockquotes, citation, author, and poetry styles

Those lists are not clearly on what am I supposed to do for hit running ground book. I am work on this.

Thanks!
ryano

Post by
Rachel_Osolen
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 am
Hey Ryan,

When I tackle a book I like to do one thing at a time. If you have removed formatting, including italics, bold and underline then I would just focus on the next task only until complete.

Convert images that contain text to text; remove images entirely where they're not necessary; replace images that represent text breaks to three asterisks ***

For Hit the Ground Running, the cover page contains and image with text that needs to be converted to text, the cover image needs to be removed, and there are images that represent text breaks throughout the book. For these smaller images you need to replace them with the three asterisks.

If you have any questions on how to do any of the above three tasks please let me know and I will help you.
As Always,

Rachel
Rachel_Osolen

Post by
ryano
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 am
Thanks will look into this thanks.
ryano

Post by
ryano
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:57 am
I noticed there is picture of Alison so I delete those and replace with *** also there are three code from the book at very last bottom should we keep those or should those be delte as well? Will it need to be delete and write into text?

What about those two?

Define the structure of the document by adding headings and sub-headings
Add other styles where needed, such as blockquotes, citation, author, and poetry styles

not clearly.

Thanks!
ryano

Post by
Rachel_Osolen
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:11 pm
Hey Ryan,

The photo of Allison does not need to be deleted and replaced by ***

Only the small images that are used as text breaks need to be replaced by ***

The photo of Allison should be reformatted. You will need to change the Wrap Text option for the photo to In Line with Text.

I checked in with Farrah to see what to do with the last images at the end of the book, and I am waiting for a response. I will let you know once I hear from her.

I would just focus on the next step which is to define the structure of the document by adding headings and sub-headings.

We have to add the headings and sub-headings to the book to form the navigation structure of the book.

If you need help with this let me know and I will help you.
As Always,

Rachel
Rachel_Osolen

Post by
Rachel_Osolen
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:33 pm
Hey Ryan,

My colleague just created a new topic about using the wiki to help with your editing. This is the same document we used to learn.

Here is the link to the topic page: http://discuss.nnels.ca/viewtopic.php?f=152&t=152

If you have any questions about the wiki, or need specific help on a task, do not hesitate to ask and I will help you.

The wiki will help get you started.
As Always,

Rachel
Rachel_Osolen

Post by
ryano
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 pm
Thanks will look into it thanks.
ryano

Post by
ryano
»
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 pm
Hi again,

I am still confused as I deleted the photo also try to removed hyperlink but I am not sure if it have been removed. Also I noticed from reading there are only 1-3 head as rarely 4-6. Mean I will need to create header I am still bit confused on how do it..
ryano

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 am
Hi Ryan,

Although the heading levels 4-6 are used less often, they are still included in the NNELS Template. You should not need to create or modify any styles for your books.

For removing hyperlinks, have you tried to do the steps that can be found on the links page of the Wiki (https://wiki.libraries.coop/doku.php?id ... text:links)? If you have, and they are persisting, you can try right-clicking on the link and selecting "Remove Hyperlink".

Please let us know whether or not that works for you. Thanks!
leahbrochu