Step 2: Hit the Ground Running

Let's make some books.

Re: Step 2: Hit the Ground Running

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:59 am
Are there any guidelines or tips to distinguish between the immages that indicate page breaks and images that need to be described? I used JAWS to find images, by pressing Insert+Z to turn on "Quick Keys" and then pressed the letter G to find graphics.

I replaced the images that appeared too small to be a picture (I assume they separate sections) with three asterisks. My document still contains seven objects. How many pictures do we need to describe in this book? Do we need to format them in any particular way?

Besides the cover image at the beginning of the file, I have about five images after page 147 and I am not sure what I should do with those. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Daniella.LP

Post by
Rachel_Osolen
»
Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:38 pm
Ryan,

Could you give me more details about your confusion with the headers? Do you understand what text needs to be reformatted as headers? Is the wiki helping you, or are you finding some things confusing on the wiki? If so what are they?

Let us know.
As Always,

Rachel
Rachel_Osolen

Post by
ka.li
»
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 pm
It looks like the images after page 147 are book jackets for other books. Should we extract the text from those? If so, do we need to say that it's text from an image?
Thanks.
ka.li

Post by
ryano
»
Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:55 pm
Hi thanks I did that before and tried again but it seems the same when I click on the table of content list it refer to the right pages so guess it cannot be remove?
ryano

Post by
Karoline
»
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 am
So, what is the best most efficient way to go through the book inorder to add heading?
Karoline

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:56 pm
Karoline wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 am So, what is the best most efficient way to go through the book inorder to add heading?
The way that we do it is by having the ePub open when we are working on the Word document. We go back and forth between the documents, page by page, to make sure that the formatting we apply to the Word doc matches the formatting of the ePub. Would that work for you?

You could also look at the ePub's Table of Contents for reference.
leahbrochu

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm
ryano wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:55 pm Hi thanks I did that before and tried again but it seems the same when I click on the table of content list it refer to the right pages so guess it cannot be remove?
I just gave it a try and here is what ended up working for me:
Selecting the text, then hitting "Clear Formatting". After that, they were still active links, so I highlighted the text again and hit "Command + 6" (the command to remove hyperlinks for Mac Word documents).

Can you try that? Clear the formatting first, then try to remove the links?

Let me know if that works. Thanks!
leahbrochu

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 am
I do not have much experience navigating epub files in my computer, and so I used the .docs version of the file (the one we received via email)to as a guide, to know where the headings are supposed to be. I gave that original .docx file a different name to avoid getting confused with the one I was editing. I activated JAWS quick keys (Insert+Z) and then looked for different headings by pressing the letter H. Then I pressed Alt+Tab to move to the file I was editing, and was able to create the headings.
Karoline wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:18 am So, what is the best most efficient way to go through the book inorder to add heading?
Last edited by Daniella.LP on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniella.LP

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:27 pm
Daniellalpl wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 am I do not have much experience navigating epub files in my computer, and so I used the .docs version of the file (the one we received via email)to as a guide, to know where the headings are supposed to be. I gave that original .docx file a different name to avoid getting confused with the one I was editing. I activated JAWS quick keys (Control+Z) and then looked for different headings by pressing the letter H. Then I pressed Alt+Tab to move to the file I was editing, and was able to create the headings.
Excellent, that sounds like a great way to do it! Thanks so much for sharing!
leahbrochu

Post by
jennlortie
»
Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 pm
Hi Karoline,

One thing I do sometimes for documents that have all the Styles deleted is search the document for paragraph markers (^p) that are preceded by a letter (^$). Since in most books, paragraphs that are part of the body of the text end in a punctuation mark, this brings me to lines that *may* be Headings (but they would have to be read to confirm this).

So in Find and Replace, I search "^$^p" to jump to the lines that might be Headings.
jennlortie