Working with tables using JAWS

Working with tables using JAWS

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:03 am
Thank you, Sky. I have worked with the menus.

I find the JAWS layered command (Insert-Space then T) useful to navigate tables.
It takes patience to navigate tables in which not all the columns are read.

Ka, I have tables in which the number of columns changes; I am not sure if the cells are merged though. I found merged cells in Excel frustrating, and I would imagine that the same would be true for Word. When I navigate cells with Alt and the arrows, JAWS sometime reads a title and sometimes it reports no title; it can be confusing.

The command I have been using to insert table is Alt-N-T); There is a submenu to select the number of columns, rows, and set the width. What I would like is not to need to enter data in the tables by hand.

There is also an option to insert a table from Excel but it did not work, it did not ask me for the Excel file. Word just opened a spread sheet that was empty. I did not find a way to insert the content of an Excel file, as I had done some time ago.

I would be interested in learning more.
Last edited by Daniella.LP on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Daniella.LP

Re: Working with tables using JAWS

Post by
skyt
»
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:11 pm
Hello. To navigate tables using JAWS, use the JAWS command, which is control, alt, and the left and right, and up and down arrow keys. Up and down arrow mvoes you through rows, and left and right arrows move you through columns. I hope this helps, Sky.
skyt

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:54 am
Thanks, Sky. To review the table and get familiar with its content I also use the layered keystroke Insert + Spacebar, and then t. Would you have any tips or advice on how to insert tables into a Word document, and ensure that they are properly formatted? How would you know if the cells are aligned etc.? Thanks in advance.
Daniella.LP

Post by
skyt
»
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:30 pm
Hello. To propperly insert tables into a document you need to go into the insert menu, followed by tables. Once you get into the tables menu their are several things you can do. you can insert a new table, or select preset tables that are already set up. To my knoledge I don't know of anyway to tell whether their is a way to tell if the tables are aligned. What I mean is their isn't a jaws hotkey to tell you if a tables are aligned. I hope this helps, Sky.
skyt

Post by
ka.li
»
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:57 pm
What types of nonuniform tables are you working with? Are you dealing with merged cells, extra cells that stick out or both?
ka.li

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:44 pm
Thank you, Sky. I have worked with the menus

I find the JAWS layered command useful to navigate tables. The column titles are always read.

It takes patience to navigate tables in which not all the columns are read.

Ka, I have tables in which the number of columns changes; I am not sure if the cells are merged though. I found merged cells in Excel frustrating, and I would imagine that the same would be true for Word. When I navigate cells with Alt and the arrows, JAWS sometime reads a title and sometimes it reports no title; it can be confusing.

The command I have been using to insert tables is (Alt-N-t); There is a submenu to select the number of columns, rows, and set the width.
There is also an option to insert a table from Excel but it did not work, it did not ask me for the Excel file. Word just opened a spread sheet that was empty. I did not find a way to insert the content of an Excel file, as I had done some time ago. I would like to avoid having to enter information by hand.

I would be interested in learning more.
Daniella.LP

Post by
ka.li
»
Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:51 am
Insert-f1 when on a table in word will give you information such as whether there are merged cells and if it is a non-uniform table. Unfortunately, JAWs can't tell you how many rows a single cell spans in Word and navigation can get stuck if you are dealing with merged cells so the best way to navigate when you know that there is a merged cell is to tab past it.

If you are dealing with a non-uniform table where there are no merged cells but you have extra cells that stick up, JAWS will not properly read the column and row headers because usually it tries to guess where the headers are and it has a hard time with that. The best way may be to just explore the table entirely to create a mental picture in your mind of the layout and mentally keep track of the headers.
ka.li