Adding lower level headings in Word

Adding lower level headings in Word

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:49 pm
Hi,

I need to add several level four headings to my document. It looks like the shortcut (Control + Alt + 4) does not work in Word; I select the text and press this but nothing happens. I think that I have to create a new shortcut for lower level headings. Control +Alt + # (works from one to three). I am using JAWS 18 and Word 2016.

If anyone knows the keyboard shortcuts to add these headings, I would appreciate any guidance. Many thanks in advance.
Daniella.LP

Re: Adding lower level headings in Word

Post by
ka.li
»
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:58 pm
Hi Daniella,
You would have to go to your list of styles, locate the heading you want and click on the modify button. In that window, click on format menu and go down to shortcut. There, you can type a shortcut in the edit field. If you don't see heading 4 or some of the other headings, they're probably hidden so you would need to go to manage styles to find them and click modify from there.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Sorry if my instructions don't seem clear. It's late here and I'm falling asleep at the keyboard. :)
ka.li

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:33 am
Hi Daniella and Ka!

Ka, thanks so much for replying to Daniella - your advice is spot on.

I really love keyboard shortcuts, and often find myself adding and updating them depending on the book that I am working on. For example, I once did a biography of Victor Frankl, the psychologist and Holocaust survivor who wrote "Man's Search for Meaning." There were a lot of French and German terms in the book, so I added keyboard shortcuts so I could apply styles with the language embedded into them, as needed.

Here is a page which gives some detail about customizing keyboard shortcuts in Word for Windows. One important additional thing to do is to make sure that you select the NNELS template, not the Normal template, to save the changes in. Also, when you finish your editing session, and go to close Word, you may get a pop-up asking you if you want to save the changes you made to the template; you will want to accept this.

Extra instructions for Mac users: I could not find an equivalent page from Microsoft for customizing keyboard shortcuts in Word for Mac, but this page from the Word for Dummies gives a good breakdown. Again, the only further thing to note is that at the bottom of the Customize Keyboard dialog window, there is a dropdown list for where you want to save the changes - be sure to choose the NNELS template, not the Normal template.

I hope that helps! If you need further clarification, let me know!
leahbrochu

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:59 am
Thanks, Ka and Leah, for the instructions. I have found navigating the styles pane with JAWS rather cumbersome, but I will definitely try this. I found a simpler way to add lower level headings, as follows:

1. Create a heading level three.
2. Select that heading.
3. Press Shift + Alt + Right Arrow, to demote heading I had selected to the lower level. So a heading level three will be a heading level four. I tested this with a heading level four (which I had created as above) and it works!

Note: To promote a heading to an upper level, use Shift + Alt + Left Arrow.

I am using Word for Windows.
Daniella.LP

Post by
ka.li
»
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 am
Hi Daniella,
that's a neat shortcut.
Thanks for that tip.
Ka
ka.li