Improving Forum Accessibility

Improving Forum Accessibility

Post by
Sabina
»
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:45 am
Hello! I have confirmation that we have a developer who can play with the code in the forums to make them more accessible, so please list here your pet peeves and suggestions for improvement. Appreciate whatever you're willing to post here. Thank you for your time and feedback!
Sabina Iseli-Otto at NNELS
1-855-383-5761, ext. 1031
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Re: Improving Forum Accessibility

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 am
My first suggestion would be to separate different posts within a thread with headings, it would be easier and quicker to navigate through them.
Daniella.LP

Post by
rmarion
»
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:43 am
I noticed that the subjects are listed at the heading level 3 on the page. I wonder if the replies should be at another heading level if we want to only look for replies. However, this might make the page structure too complicated. I have noticed that the skip to content link does work sometimes and puts you at the right section. Other times it drops you to the bottom of the page. But this could also be a browser issue as I noticed this with safari. I am at a machine with Fire Fox today so I will experiment here.
rmarion

Post by
ka.li
»
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:24 am
I wonder if the name of the poster could go after the heading containing the subject. At first, I wasn't sure who was posting.
ka.li

Post by
ryano
»
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:59 pm
Have some suggest maybe add new topic of where we can ask any questions one topic focus on questions or issues than have those under introduce something like that as I have some issues with download Adobe Digital Editions as it seems not work on my mac laptop. Next topic try to install DeDRM Plugin seems struggle with find the folder as I followed the step but stuck with the number 5-6 after click on load plugin then will open the file folder but not see unzipping.

This is the lists I have been following. below so do I miss anything?? Thanks.

copy from the link.
Installing the DeDRM plugin for calibre
Download the latest tools package, and unzip it.
(On Windows, right-click and “Extract All…”; After extracting all, rename the tools_vX.X.X.zip file to tools_zipped_vX.X.X.zip to prevent later confusion)
Run calibre. From the Preferences menu select “Change calibre behavior”.
(Do not click “Get plugins to enhance calibre”, that option is reserved for ‘official’ calibre plugins.)
Click on Plugins (under “Advanced”) — it looks like a jigsaw puzzle piece.
Click on the large “Load plugin from file” button
Navigate to the tools folder unzipped in step 2
Open the “DeDRM_calibre_plugin” folder
Select the DeDRM_plugin.zip file in that folder
Click on the “Add” (sometimes “Open”) button.
Click on the “Yes” button in the “Are you sure?” warning dialog that appears. A “Success” dialog will appear, saying that the plug-in has been installed. Click on “OK”.
ryano

Sabina Re: Improving Forum Accessibility

Post by
Sabina
»
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:02 am
Ryan: great suggestion. I quoted your question and replied in a new forum called "Questions and Issues": http://discuss.nnels.ca/viewforum.php?f=134

Ka: I put my name in the subject for this post. Was that what you meant?

Richard: I am interested in hearing what you find with Firefox.

Daniella: You suggested that each post should have its own heading. Do you have to read through all the text on this page to reach a new reply?

I'm not sure if it's helpful, but it's possible to subscribe to a topic or forum to be notified by email when someone posts something new.
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Richard Re: Improving Forum Accessibility

Post by
rmarion
»
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 am
Hello. It appears with firefox the skip navigation link is consistent. It puts you at the top of the topic thread in the forum. thus bypassing the menus at the top of the page.
rmarion

Post by
ka.li
»
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:20 am
@Sabina
Not quite. Before the subject, there's the name of the poster which is also a link that goes to the profile. That link might be better below the subject. When i jump from subject to subject and arrow down with my screen reader, I would be able to see who's posting before the content of the post.
ka.li

Post by
Sabina
»
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:35 pm
@Ka
I'm not sure I understand so let me see if I have this right. You see the poster's name, then the subject, then the body of the message but you would like to see the subject, then the poster's name, and then the message body?

Also, Daniella noted that headings would help. Do you agree?

Richard, I'm glad the skip navigation link is consistent. That's helpful, and thank you for testing it with Firefox.
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
ka.li
»
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:16 pm
@Sabina Yes. that's correct. also headings do help with navigation.
ka.li