Improving Forum Accessibility

Re: Improving Forum Accessibility

Post by
Sabina
»
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:34 pm
I think our developer has added headings for the posts in a thread, and changed the order of how they read. Do you notice the changes, and are they improvements? If so, what can we do next? Thank you for your suggestions so far!
Sabina Iseli-Otto at NNELS
1-855-383-5761, ext. 1031
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:07 pm
It would be very useful to have headings separating different topics within a forum. For example within the "Book analysis" forum, have each of the book titles under a heading; that way it would be easier to jump from one topic to the other. As it is now, the topics appear under the main forum (in this case "Production Hub", which is a level 2 heading. Immediately after I see a link to mark sub forums read. And this is followed by the topics, which are listed; if I scroll down, I find the information about the number of topics (within a forum), followed by number of posts, and what topic was the last post about. In short, anything that would make navigating through the different topics quicker would be very helpful.

Within a thread, I notice that now the replies are at a level 4 heading, and that makes it easier to find them.
Daniella.LP

Post by
Sabina
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 am
Thank you, Daniella. It sounds like we are not using enough headings anywhere. Imagine here a blushing smiley face.

-Sabina
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
Sabina
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm
Our developer updated the forums so there are heading tags around all forum tiles and post titles. Is this better or worse than before? If better, what's next?
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
steve.murgaski
»
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 pm
The headings definitely make it better. I suggest making the name of the poster a heading level 5, so that we could skip directly to the poster name by pressing 5. JAWS reads a lot of text when we arrow down from the subject header to the message text, so it would be better if we could skip directly to the name of the poster.

You mentioned that email notifications can be turned on per topic. Is there a way to turn them on for the whole production hub, effectively making the hub like an email list? I had the same problem as Richard about the conference call earlier: I try to keep up with the forums but it would be too time-consuming to check every topic.
steve.murgaski

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:39 pm
The headings make it much easier and faster to navigate. I agree with Steve's suggestion to have the poster's name under a heading level 5, it would make the forum even better.

I also think that it would be useful to be able to set email notifications for the Production Hub; even if we do not reply by email, it would help to keep track with the forums while we are away from the computer. I, too, missed the post about the teleconference today.;
Daniella.LP

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:29 am
Would it be possible to abilitate Markdown in the forums? Perhaps a combo box to select input through plain text or visual formatting (with the buttons that are already there for bold, etc.). Sites like reddit.com allow users to write in plain text using Markdown (which uses punctuation symbols to indicate different attributes); then when the user posts, the format is there. So for example, level 1 headings are indicated with a # before the line, level 2 headings are indicated with ## before the line, etc. Bold text is indicated either with "**" or "__" before and after the text we want to appear in bold.

https://www.markdowntutorial.com/
Daniella.LP

Post by
Sabina
»
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:01 am
Thank you for the feedback. I guess I'm having the same problem with my subscriptions since I didn't check this thread until now.

I will find out about Markdown, setting posters to heading level 5, and the email notifications!
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
Sabina
»
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:51 pm
I found the forum subscription settings!

At the bottom of the page, "Subscribe to Forum" should be between "Board Index" and "Contact us".
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
Sabina
»
Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 am
Posters are set to heading 5 and the developer is investigating Markdown. End of update! Hope whoever is reading this is having a great day.
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina