Voiceover and NVDA alternatives/equivalents to JAWS Text Analyzer

Voiceover and NVDA alternatives/equivalents to JAWS Text Analyzer

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:36 pm
I have found the JAWS Text Analyzer incredibly useful. I knew it existed but I did not use it much in the past, and I now wonder how I could do without it.

My question is if there are ways to find inconsistencies in the format of a document using Voiceover and NVDA. How could I quickly find different font types/sizes in Word for Mac, or in other text editors?
Daniella.LP

Re: Voiceover and NVDA alternatives/equivalents to JAWS Text Analyzer

Post by
ka.li
»
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm
In NVDA, you can get formatting info using NVDA-F. Pressing it once will tell you everything at once and pressing it twice will bring up the same detail but in chunks so you can read it easier.

In Voiceover, you can get formatting info with Vo-T.

I like the JAWS Text Analyzer and find it useful. My only gripe is that because JAWS is a buggy piece of software, Text Analyzer sometimes crashes JAWS.
ka.li

Post by
skyt
»
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:09 pm
Hello. Yes, JAWS, and NVDA have insert and the letter F for formatting. Unfortunately, NVDA nor Voice Over has text Anneliser as of yet but I believe NVDA or VoiceOver could have it in. Its strange how your JAWS crashes when attempting to use the Text Anneliser, and, strangely enough, I haven't encountered a single crash with JAWS. I will state that I run both on an SSD drive, and, believe me, both my desktop computers and my laptop run very quick with no screen reader crashes.
skyt

Post by
ka.li
»
Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:23 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if NVDA gets a similar feature in the near future because there are some very devoted NVDA devs who create addons and update source code everyday. Also, they are very open to suggestions so you may wish to request this type of feature on their GitHub.

I should clarify that JAWS doesn't consistently crash when I use the analyzer. It only crashes sometimes. Last time, it crashed was when I was using it in a document with a table. I'm also running an NVME SSD as part of my setup.
ka.li