Finding Headings and Applying Styles

Finding Headings and Applying Styles

Post by
Rachel_Osolen
»
Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:18 pm
A few people had questions on the best way to find headings in a document.

Daniella gave one workaround for how to do this using a copy of the word document.
Daniellalpl wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:20 am I do not have much experience navigating epub files in my computer, and so I used the .docs version of the file (the one we received via email)to as a guide, to know where the headings are supposed to be. I gave that original .docx file a different name to avoid getting confused with the one I was editing. I activated JAWS quick keys (Insert+Z) and then looked for different headings by pressing the letter H. Then I pressed Alt+Tab to move to the file I was editing, and was able to create the headings.
What us PA's do is compare the Epub to the Word document to find the headings, specifically the Table of Contents.

Jenn also recommended using the find and replace tool in Word to then find the headings that need to have the proper styles applied to them.
jennlortie wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:16 pm
One thing I do sometimes for documents that have all the Styles deleted is search the document for paragraph markers (^p) that are preceded by a letter (^$). Since in most books, paragraphs that are part of the body of the text end in a punctuation mark, this brings me to lines that *may* be Headings (but they would have to be read to confirm this).

So in Find and Replace, I search "^$^p" to jump to the lines that might be Headings.
Is there a way to use JAWS with the Epub to find headings and then us JAWS with Word to find the text that needs the heading styles applied to it?
As Always,

Rachel
Rachel_Osolen

Re: Finding Headings and Applying Styles

Post by
skyt
»
Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:00 pm
Hello Rachel. Can I make a correction to Danielles post? Its actually insert and the letter Z to turn on quick keys, instead of Control Z. If you press control Z, it undoes the last thing that was entered in word.
skyt

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:12 pm
Thank you, Sky, for correcting this, my apologies, I did mean Insert... It is Insert+Z (not control), I will correct my original post.
Daniella.LP

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:16 pm
For those who know more about Mac than I do: is there something equivalent to JAWS quick keys (Insert+Z) that can be used in Word in order to find headings and images quickly and without modifying the content of the document?
Daniella.LP

Post by
rmarion
»
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:09 pm
I am not sure if it works in MS word for the mac but if you try VO plus Q it turns single letter quick key navigation on or off.
rmarion