PDF readers

PDF readers

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:19 pm
Hi all,

I am looking for tools to read PDF files and would like to hear about everyone's experience, what programs you use and how they work with your screen readers.

I know that a lot will depend on how the PDF file is produced, wheteher it is tagged, has headings, etc. In Windows, I mostly use Acrobat Reader and Sumatra PDF. They are okay, but for larger files, it is not always easy for me to find and copy text (even if the file is not protected); if I have to read a large PDF file, I usually convert it to a Word file using Kurzweil, but I don't think that this is the most efficient way to do it. If you know of tools to convert PDF files to other formats (besides Calibre), please let me know. In the past I tried to use Calibre but it was not accessible at all, I will try again.

In Mac I mostly use Preview, but I find that navigation is not very good, even if the original file has headings.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Daniella.LP on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniella.LP

Re: PDF readers

Post by
skyt
»
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:16 pm
Kurzweil allows you to read PDF files. In Adobe, just go to the print menu, and their should be a reading printer that Kurzweil should be able to use to open up the document.
skyt

Post by
Karoline
»
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:13 pm
Like you I use Kurtzwell. I haven't found anything better. I have a friend who loves Abbi reader. I have played with the OCR in JAWS but that is very limited. You can not manipulate text if you want or need to.
I am interested in what others have to say.
Karoline

Post by
ka.li
»
Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:05 pm
I currently use K1000 but ABBY Fine reader Pro works just as well. A friend told me that the fine reader OCR engine that's being used in K1000 might not be the same or as good as the one that's used in Fine Reader Pro so if you don't need all the extra features of K1000 and want something that does excellent OCR, Fine Reader Pro is a good option.
ka.li

Post by
rmarion
»
Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:11 am
On the PC, I have also tried doc you scan for reading PDF files. It works quite well, but it does strip away the graphics so the output file is strictly text. It also has a Mac version. I also haven’t had much luck using preview on the Mac to read PDF files.
rmarion