New NNELS Website

Other projects that arise that are completely optional for Production Assistants

New NNELS Website

Post by
farrah
»
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:31 pm
If you're interested in testing the new NNELS site that is in development, let us know and we can give you access. The location is: http://dev.nnels.ca
Content Coordinator, NNELS
farrah@nnels.ca
Toll Free 1-855-383-5761 ext 1033
farrah

Re: New NNELS Website

Post by
ka.li
»
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:59 am
I would be interested in testing out the new site.
ka.li

Post by
Karoline
»
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:46 am
Same here. Thanks.
Karoline

Post by
farrah
»
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 pm
Thanks both. Are you able to access this page: https://dev.nnels.ca

I was told this is public, but let me know if you can't access the page.
farrah

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:02 pm
I, too, am interested in testing it. I just tried the link and it did opened the page.
Daniella.LP

Post by
Sabina
»
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:53 pm
I've created accounts on the dev site for Ka, Karoline, and Daniella. The three of you can log in with the same username and password we set up for the live site, or reset your password here: https://dev.nnels.ca/user/password

Please note that the downloads won't work, but everything else should.

We'd appreciate your observations about searching and navigating. Here are some steps you can take:
  1. Begin logged out.
  2. Locate Generation X in DAISY 3 format and then login to download the file. Again, you won't be able to download the file but what about this process is a pain?
  3. Search for "Manitoba" and then use the filters to identify how many titles are narrated by Apple Alex. What do you notice?
  4. How would you share these search results with a friend?
  5. Add two books to your booklist and then remove them.
  6. Search for "Omnitopia Dawn" and then request the book from when you can't find it.
We'd also love to hear about your observations of what information would be useful but is missing, especially if you were new to all this and learning about books and reading.
Sabina Iseli-Otto at NNELS
1-855-383-5761, ext. 1031
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
jennlortie
»
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:26 pm
Hi Sabina and Farrah,

Just curious, what are the changes on the new website? To me, it looks essentially the same as the current site!
jennlortie

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:01 am
Searching the catalogue, I noticed that the results are displayed after a "Search found # items", but I could not find a quick way to jump to them directly. Would it be possible to separate the search results specifically with a heading? headings are very useful, they make it easy to separate information, and a good way to navigate quickly.

When I navigate the page with JAWS, after all the unfiltered results there are many level 2 headings that make it easy to find filter by format, followed by all the options and their checkboxes. If I press the down arrow after the last format in that list, JAWS finds a "searchapi-facetblock" link. It is not clear what it is, may be an unlabled link that is not vissible (I did not find this link in Safari on my Mac).

When I navigate the page with Safari, the filter by options appear before the results (flipping right using the trackpad, or moving right with the keyboard). Separating the section with the search results with a heading would also be very useful for users of Mac with Voiceover.

Regarding the specific tasks outlined here:

I started logged out and searched for Generation X; I located the DAISY3 format, and after logging in I was able to quickly find the available formats, thanks to a level 2 heading "available formats"

Although there are several results when looking for the word Manitoba, I notice that none of the five titles filtered by narrator Apple Alex contain that word (although by the description and title, I assume that all of them talk about Manitoba.

I could not find any button or link to share search results.

After searching for "Omnitopia Dawn" and not finding results, I easily found the "request a title" link, as a level 2 heading. I submitted a request successfully.

I could add titles to my bookshelf and then remove them later from My Bookshelf.

Sabina wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:53 pm I've created accounts on the dev site for Ka, Karoline, and Daniella. The three of you can log in with the same username and password we set up for the live site, or reset your password here: https://dev.nnels.ca/user/password

Please note that the downloads won't work, but everything else should.

We'd appreciate your observations about searching and navigating. Here are some steps you can take:
  1. Begin logged out.
  2. Locate Generation X in DAISY 3 format and then login to download the file. Again, you won't be able to download the file but what about this process is a pain?
  3. Search for "Manitoba" and then use the filters to identify how many titles are narrated by Apple Alex. What do you notice?
  4. How would you share these search results with a friend?
  5. Add two books to your booklist and then remove them.
  6. Search for "Omnitopia Dawn" and then request the book from when you can't find it.
We'd also love to hear about your observations of what information would be useful but is missing, especially if you were new to all this and learning about books and reading.
Daniella.LP

Post by
ka.li
»
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:31 pm
I agree that headings would be helpful for each search result. This would facilitate more efficient navigation. I would also like to see "summary" as a heading when I open up the page for the book. I notice that the main landmark is on the search filter. I think the main landmark should be on the search results.

I had no trouble adding and removing books from the bookshelf. I think the "clear this bookshelf" button is misleading because someone might think that it will clear the entire shelf even if only one item is checked. I know that there's a page confirming what you want to do but before getting to that point, any confusion could be cleared up by relabeling the button as "Delete."
ka.li

Post by
farrah
»
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 pm
This is all great feedback. I'm going to compile everyone's comments and submit them to our website developer by next Friday, February 23. If you have any more comments, please add them here before then. Thank you!
farrah