Codex Conversion Tool

We're converting books from one format to another using a variety of tools. This is where we can compare our tools and discuss the results.

Codex Conversion Tool

Post by
ka.li
»
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 pm
Hi,
I thought I would post a topic about the book conversion tool I use. I've tried other conversion tools and methods before but this is my favourite one. It is called Codex and it is a free tool written by James Scholes.

It supports many different types of documents actually 18 to be exact. It has a simple interface so your workflow for converting is really efficient. Also, it can remove DRM from Kindle books so that any books you buy from Amazon can now be read in your reader of choice and it doesn't
require a lot of setup to do this like Calibre.

The way it works after you have installed it is that you right click on the file you want to convert, choose Codex and from its sub-menus, select the format you want to convert to. If you would like to check it out, here's the link:
http://jscholes.net/project/codex/

Ka
ka.li

Re: Codex Conversion Tool

Post by
leahbrochu
»
Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:33 am
Thanks so much for sharing, Ka! I am glad that you found a program that works for you. Hopefully others will find it helpful as well!
leahbrochu

Post by
farrah
»
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:50 am
Thanks Ka. This sounds like a great tool. Too bad it's not available on Mac :)
farrah

Post by
Daniella.LP
»
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 pm
Thank you very much for sharing, Ka. A new tool for me, and very useful! It works great. Do you know if it is possible to convert PDF files that have two columns to text as well? When I was reviewing the text of a file I converted, I noticed that the content, as read by JAWS in say all, did not make much sense: JAWS was mixing the content of the columns. .
Thanks again.

ka.li wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:39 pm Hi,
I thought I would post a topic about the book conversion tool I use. I've tried other conversion tools and methods before but this is my favourite one. It is called Codex and it is a free tool written by James Scholes.

It supports many different types of documents actually 18 to be exact. It has a simple interface so your workflow for converting is really efficient. Also, it can remove DRM from Kindle books so that any books you buy from Amazon can now be read in your reader of choice and it doesn't
require a lot of setup to do this like Calibre.

The way it works after you have installed it is that you right click on the file you want to convert, choose Codex and from its sub-menus, select the format you want to convert to. If you would like to check it out, here's the link:
http://jscholes.net/project/codex/

Ka
Daniella.LP

Post by
Karoline
»
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:11 am
I love this. It is so easy. Thank you for sharing. I did not like Calibre.
Karoline

Post by
Sabina
»
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:34 am
@Karoline, I'd love to hear more about what you didn't like about using Calibre.

Aside from its problems, one neat thing I learned recently about Calibre is that it seems to load magazine content from all over the world without needing a subscription. That seems like a nice little feature.
Sabina Iseli-Otto at NNELS
1-855-383-5761, ext. 1031
sabina@nnels.ca
Sabina

Post by
Karoline
»
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:16 pm
I found it clumsy to learn. I will likely go back to it. a few of my friends really like it. I really should give it more of a chance. I just found it confusing. I will need to go read up on it. I like the magazine feature you mentioned.
Karoline

Post by
ka.li
»
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:01 pm
Hi all,
Happy to hear that you guys are finding Codex to be useful.

@Daniella Unfortunately I don't think Codex can handle converting a PDF table without messing it up. Out of curiosity, what format were you converting to and was the PDF properly tagged? I would be curious to see if Codex would correctly put all the information in the right place when converting from a tagged verses an untagged document.

@Sabina,
That magazine feature sounds neat. I'll have to play around with it sometime.
ka.li